what do you "always" keep available inside your coop?

As I do not have power running to my coop, I've found a flashlight to be valuable to have in the coop. I have one clipped to inside of the walk-in door. Can't tell you how many times I went out to close up the girls after dark, got the coop and, "Dang, forgot the flashlight." I like to get the count each night and do a visual health and welfare check.

I also live in a freezing climate and there are days or weeks when my flock doesnt venture outside so I keep a 5lb hanging feeder, 3' trough feeder, oster shell, and 3 gal heated waterer in the coop and a 3' trough feeder outside just in case they go out. On nice days, I also put water outside.

Last edited:
I have my 2 coops open all the time thru winter, and an open area for them to walk around and some covered areas to hide from rain. I put nothing in the coops except for fake eggs to help the girls to know where to lay since they just start laying last week. Food and drink are outside. Some just sleep outside under the covered area now since it's getting warmer here in Oregon.

Last edited:
I'm so glad I looked at these posts. I wanted to ask the same question, but being a newbie and don't get me chicks until next week...I was afraid I would sound like a ding-a-ling asking if you put water and food in both the run and coop or not....thanks all! I feel better and maybe I won't be so skittish to ask the "blonde" questions next time. Love that I have found this page. Can't read enough and am so excited for my chicks to arrive! I know they'll stay inside and grow a little before going to the coop, but want to have all my "chickens" in a row before they are ready and I'm in a panic! *Ü*
Rebeckyjo

We keep a feeder, water and oyster shell in the coop. In their yard we have a couple different sized rakes and a pooper scooper, works great in the yard. Water is kept in the front yard and out back since they fly out of their yard at will to look for more food, even after being fed breakfast. Like the flash light idea I too would go out and forget the flash light but my neighbor now has her place lit up like fort knox so I do not need so much now.

I'm so glad I looked at these posts. I wanted to ask the same question, but being a newbie and don't get me chicks until next week...I was afraid I would sound like a ding-a-ling asking if you put water and food in both the run and coop or not....thanks all! I feel better and maybe I won't be so skittish to ask the "blonde" questions next time. Love that I have found this page. Can't read enough and am so excited for my chicks to arrive! I know they'll stay inside and grow a little before going to the coop, but want to have all my "chickens" in a row before they are ready and I'm in a panic! *Ü*
Rebeckyjo

WELCOME TO BYC
frow.gif
Remember that the only "blonde" question is the question not asked. I am almost 2 years at this and am still confused most of the time. I will be posting a couple of questions here in a bit. Good luck and never fear the question no matter how "blonde" you may think it is someone else may be wanting to know the same thing and this is a good site for help.

We have a repurposed gravity dog feeder on a crate, it's only the 3 girls right now so it stays full for awhile. We also have a 1 gallon waterer in our coop.

I have two small feeders and a large, heated waterer in the coop. I'm using supplemental light in the AM and have no desire to go out at 3 to open the pop door nor add light to the run. Oyster and/or egg shell is in the run, though. In the summer, there is a second waterer in the run to encourage them to drink plenty.

Back
Top Bottom