what do you "always" keep available inside your coop?

showbarnmom

Songster
7 Years
Dec 16, 2012
south central Texas
IE: there is always a 5lb feeder full of layer and a 1 gallon waterer.

The reason I ask is because now that my chicks are going outside every day, I've been sweeping their coop out because they have been wasting sooo much grower feed. I also moved their waterer outside.

What are the must haves in your coop? Water? Feed? Nothing? What are the must have in your runs? (If your chickens are free range, answered still apply!)

I have a coop that is 10 ft by 24 ft and keep 2 hanging 5 gal feeders, and a 5 gal double sided heated waterer inside. I am in WI so they don't always go outside/in the run during the winter depending on the weather. I also keep a small bucket with grit and pyster shell available. Even during the summer, I keep this all inside with extra waterers out in the run

Everyone has a different answer for that question. What you keep in the coop depends on how you like to run your operation and the size of you coop. If you close them in the coop at night you probably should have water in the coop for the times when you are late leaving them out. If you confine them a lot they need feed in the coop. I have feed and water in and out in the run for them all times. There are dishes oyster shell and grit in my coop, because that is just where I hung them.

I have food and water in the coop in case I am late in letting them out in the morning--which I rarely am.They do not spend any time in the coop except at night or to lay eggs. I also have food and water outside on demand where they free range.
The only time I would worry is if there was nothing for them after a night of fasting.

My coop is open to two fully enclosed attached runs. Their coop is pretty much just for sleeping and laying eggs. Both runs contain a treadle feeder which I keep full of the chickens' feed (a mixture of whole grains). Each run also contains a one gallon water fount with water and a little apple cider vinegar and a small 3# hanging feeder full of calcium supplement which hens can take what they need when they need it. My chickens are usually free ranging, but I work before the sun comes up so the attached runs are necessary so they have plenty of room to move around before I let them out when I get home.

IE: there is always a 5lb feeder full of layer and a 1 gallon waterer.

The reason I ask is because now that my chicks are going outside every day, I've been sweeping their coop out because they have been wasting sooo much grower feed. I also moved their waterer outside.

What are the must haves in your coop? Water? Feed? Nothing? What are the must have in your runs? (If your chickens are free range, answered still apply!)
I keep their food and water in the run. I have their food hanging from a short plant hanger and I keep their water on a shelf. I also have a small feeder filled with oyster shell. I don't leave food or water in their coop.

It is cold here so my chickens will not go outside so in my coop I keep 1gal. water with 1 Tbsp. ACV in it on a cookie tin water heater. 5 gal feed container with layer mash, a small container of grit and oyster shells. A large shallow dish to put wood ash and food grade DE for dust baths, a flat scrapper and kitty litter scoop for cleaning out the poop deck and a couple of small plastic bowls to put foods like yogurt or applesauce in.

Wow! This is turning into an interesting thread for me :) I am in texas, and have a young (2 & 1 month old) flock that is just starting to leave their coop. Right now our days are mid to upper 70s and nights mid 50s. So they are living life outside of the coop:)

I live in a warm area right now, so I keep a very small amount of grain in the run (about .5 lbs) mixed with Oyster Shell at all times. I have a forage block (10lbs) in the corner. 2 waters, one bowl style and the other a standard chicken waterer. They barely eat or pick at the forage block. They do get to free range during the day which saves a ton of feed costs!

Back
Top Bottom