What do you do for chickens with no feathers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beverlyl, Sep 1, 2009.

1. beverlyl

beverlyl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    Morristown Arizona
    I was luckly enough to have 3 hens and 3 roosters given to me, the problem is the roosters have plucked the hens soooo... bad they are almost bald. I have the roosters seperated until we can figure out what to do with them, but I'm afraid that my other chickens may harm the newbies. I put them in with my 23 hens and 4 roosters(I bought all these about 20 weeks ago as babies). Should I do something or will they be okay. I really want them to live, because the family we got them from said are laying and so far mine are not.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    It could be the Roo is really ruff on them. Or maybe there molting? Some one on here makes chicken saddles that will help protect the hen during breading. I bought a little cochin roo with no back feathers. They grew back in a months time.

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    When I get chickens like that I put neosporin on them to help their skin heal and not get irritated. Since being on BYC I have learned the wonderful thing called CHICKEN SADDLES!!! They are wonderful in protecting your hens backs. I make them too. If you would like some PM me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by