What do you do if your order is wrong?

Quail_Antwerp

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Ohio
Well, my chicks came from McMurray this morning. I can say this is the first time I have been disappointed in them. Not only did I not get what I ordered, but the lady at customer service was rude to me. I know they didn't substitute, because I tell them no substitutions.

She then told me it was my fault that my order was messed up because I added to my order two times, and the second time that I added to the order I had requested that they remove the blue cochins from my order. I said yes, I did that because I requested 3 black cochin pullets instead.

Two weeks ago I had called to see if I could get my order shipped sooner. The lady said no, because my Black Cochin Pullets weren't available until now.

I didn't get ANY Black Cochin Pullets! I did get 3 straight run Blue Cochins, one of which expired during shipping. One Black Australorp expired after arrival.

At first I felt I should accept that it's my fault the order is messed up, since I added to it twice and changed it once, I can see where that would cause some confusion for them. But she didn't have to be so RUDE to me.

I am supposed to call them on Wednesday morning to notify them of any losses and see what they are willing to do for me. I am not sure what I should expect them to do, other than refund for the two that have passed on.

Last edited:
Sorry your having that problem. I've only dealt with Ideal so i can't chime in on McM. I will say that if they were rude to me i would have a real problem. I don't care how many times you change an order they should be able to keep up with it. They have computers for that now. If you don't get satisfaction from them I would definately try another hatchery next time and i would let them know that. Good Luck

Just because the customer service lady was rude telling you it was your fault doesn't mean you should back down in communicating what went wrong with your order.

Hopefully, when you call back you won't get the same lady. I would ask them to send the ones you requested with perhaps replacements for the ones who didn't make it.

I learned during my divorce 11 yrs ago that you can't control what other people do or say but you do have control how you choose to react to them.

Good luck with your new chicks. Remember, lots of pics.

Congratz on the new babies!

Kind of off topic but, do you still want these Sebright roosters? You never answered me back
hmm.png

No excuse but I'll bet that person has been dealing with non stop chick problems. It's that time of the year when they are hopping. She shouldn't have been rude but I'll bet you anything she's been yelled at and was at the end of her rope. Call back and let them know again. Maybe you'll get someone different.

If this was McMurray I called back because I found my 5 dollar off coupon and what do you know they didn't apply it on my invoice. If the kids weren't in 4-H I wouldn't have ordered this year.

Quote:
While I agree with the principle of keeping orders as correct as possible, the chick industry is a special sort of challenge. Keeping up with an order is one thing; organizing hatching egg orders is another. It's not like placing an order at McDonald's; it takes 21 days to get a chick in the shipping pipeline, and that assumes all your hens of that breed are laying properly. Even in a large hatchery there are going to be glitches, and frankly I'm amazed the hatcheries manage to keep it all straight and make the majority of customers happy.

OP, hope you get your replacements, but again it is extremely difficult for hatcheries to manage changed orders. There's a lot going on behind the scenes to get you that box of chicks!

Good luck, and I am sure McM will settle fairly with you.

Last edited:
I would try to give them the benefit of the doubt on this. Since it's Monday morning and everyone is just getting their chicks they've probably had to field hundreds of calls and 99% of them complaints or silly questions or whatever else...

I've always found McMurray's people to be excellent to deal with and part of the reason why I haven't minded paying a little more for their birds, which have always been very healthy and about as nice as you can expect type-wise for mail order birds...

This makes me nervous, I've added to my order twice with Ideal and changed delivery dates to boot! I hope they do better than MCM! My changes were made via email so at least I have that to go back on, were yours made by phone or email?
Sorry it happened, I would hope they would correct it for you!

I put in an order with McM, and (splitting with my neighbor) we have changed the order several times. So we have had 5 phone contacts with them, and in 4 cases, the customer service people were wonderful, clear, accommodating, and so pleasant; in the other case, this particular person was so rude and short with me (and this was only the first change) that I was tempted to cancel the whole business and deal with a different hatchery. I used to order from them years ago, and had only good experiences, so I didn't.
But if that person answers the phone from now on (though I promised not to change the order again!) I would just hang up! I'll bet that's who you talked to. She didn't send me a confirmation of the updated order, the others all have. I have to wonder if many of the negative reviews they get couldn't be laid at her doorstep; it's a shame. I don't mean this to be a character assassination, I'm not naming names, but it's a shame that someone like that should be in "customer service". I think she should be doing something else. And she didn't sound happy in her work either!

Last year, we had several that died and they gave me a credit. I used the credit this year, they didn't lose it. I changed my order twice. The chicks arrived last week and only half lived. They sent another batch that arrived today. I didn't pay for shipping or anything. Only 10 survived. I spoke to them this morning. The customer service rep said wait 2 days to see how many really make it and they will send out a 3rd order or credit my account. Whichever I would like to do will be fine with them.

I have really gotten great service. Don't give up on McM over 1 rude service person. Thus far I have been very lucky. I am sure your next phone call will be better.

Back
Top Bottom