What Do You Do If...

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
I'm not sure where to really post this, but I was just wondering...if you have a broody hen that hatches your chicks, do you then take the chicks inside? Or do can you just leave them outside with the mommy hen?

You can really do either way. I find that chicks raised by momma hens are less friendly. If you want them to be easily handled...I would take them inside and raise them. But, it sure is cute to watch momma raise them little fluff balls.

Have you ever taken the babies inside and raised them yourself? If so, does the momma hen show any signs of looking for her babies? How about when you reintroduce them to the momma?

I let the momma raise them but I go out to the coop and handle the babies alot. It was just easier for me to let momma raise them instead of worrying about a brooder and temp. I would also feel bad about taking chicks away from the mom, she watches her babies very well and I think would have missed them. I know she would have gotten over it very quickly but at the same time I felt guilty taking them away.

I had a hen once that wold go broody and not having a rooster the eggs were never going to hatch. so a couple times i got fertilized eggs from a friend and a couple times i bought babies and switched them for the eggs after she sat a couple weeks. she always LOVED being a mama, you could tell she was just soooooo happy.

can you resist this:
100_0002-1.jpg

tongue.png

I know there are alot of silkie lovers out there. I have to tell ya, I was not one of them....untill I saw Chicken_boy's pic!!!!!! That is sooo cute! Are silkies really that wonderful? In your opinion, what makes them better than a standard size chicken?

I put a surrogate momma in the brooder with the chicks. This way I can handle the chicks and yet they still get the benifit of the mother hen, keep in mind I do not hatch many chicks at once. Rigth now I have 8 chicks and 1 Silkie hen in the brooder and one hen sitting on 10 eggs, 4 of mine and 6 I purchased.

Back
Top Bottom