What do you do to keep your flock healthy (mite/lice free)?

Keep the water, and waterers clean. Don't let feed get old, or moldy. At least once a week, pick up a few of your birds, and check them over for lice/mites weight loss, etc. The next week, pick different birds. Keep flooring, and nesting materials fresh. Clean up the roosts as needed with soap and water. I spray my coop with permethrin at least once a year, and dust my chickens once a year, unless there is evidence of a problem, then I treat accordingly. I worm at least 2 times a year, but it's warmer here than up north, however, they have worms up north too. Pay attention to their combs. When they're pale, or very lackluster it is usually a sign that they need worming. During molt, I boost the protein some, and make sure to give canned cat food, since they need a bit of animal protein, not just vegetable protein which is what is in most feeds.

I'm a nurse, so I tend to follow a lot of physician journals and papers. I'm especially interested in in antibiotic resistant bugs. Neem is something they are working with as an option to Vancomycin.
I would imagine that any agent used to kill 'bugs', in humans or other animals, has the potential to be misused unto resistance.
Neem is touted as a holistic 'cure' for many ailments,
would think that the pharm industry had explored it long ago?

Your vet tech, and maybe your small animal veterinarian, may not realize that pet friendly products aren't meant for food animals. If a product isn't labeled for chickens, especially laying hens, it's not okay to use it on them.
Mary

Ok that's where the confusion is. I don't eat my birds, but I do eat the eggs. I'm still alive! Lol. I didn't ask my vet about meat withdraw cause I don't butcher them. But seriously, I'm not worried about the bug drops and haven't had problems eating the eggs so that's a do at your own risk, but I would suggest not eating the birds with bug drops.

Permethrin got rid of my more problem really quickly last year. I scrubbed the coop and then sprayed it. I also gave my birds at the time a dunk in it (they had a very bad infestation) I didn’t recognize it early because I’d never had an issue with mites before. I now dust around the exterior of the coop with DE it seems to have knocked the bug problem down. This spring I’m starting over due to predators and so I pressure washed, bleached, and then whitewashed the coop. I then limed the run. No bugs at all and everyone seems happy and healthy! As for mice, cats work well edit: forgot to mention I also used ivermectin cattle drench on them. One time only and these measures knocked out the mites in a day.

But seriously, I'm not worried about the bug drops and haven't had problems eating the eggs so that's a do at your own risk, but I would suggest not eating the birds with bug drops.
Stuff tends to stay in eggs longer....it's not the 'drop dead after breakfast', it's the long term effects that bother me.

It is also good for scaly leg mites, lice and northern red mites. Altho when my girls had lice/mites, I went with permithrin cause I didn't want to mess around. If I get a case of bumblefoot, I plan to put the Neem to the test and see if it really holds up to it.

What is the dilution strength, and what do you mix it with for a carrier... or do you use it full strength?

I'm a nurse, so I tend to follow a lot of physician journals and papers. I'm especially interested in in antibiotic resistant bugs. Neem is something they are working with as an option to Vancomycin.

How do they intend to use it? As a topical? Read any studies on the use of honey for wound treatment? I was talking with an MD the other day, and she swears by honey (a new product on the market called MediHoney) for treating chronic wounds. Says a lot of wound centers are now using honey.

I tend to be a bit cautious about feeding mine other than their feed. Yes, I raise organic mealworms, and treat the birds about twice a week. I do give them canned cat food during molt.

Back
Top Bottom