What do you do to tell your chickens apart?

What do use, or can you tell them apart without IDing them?

• Zip ties

• Twisty leg bands

• The big flat leg bands

• Nothing

• It doesn't matter to me

• I can tell them all apart individually

• String (I have done it with chicks, but it is annoying)

• ABA leg bands or similar ones

Results are only viewable after voting.
When we first got chickens, we got different breeds and gave them names and it was easy to tell who was who. Ten years later, we have a lot more, some of whom are hard to tell apart since they were chicks raised by one of our broodies, or ones we adopted from neighbors at different times.
We know our rooster obviously, his two sisters are cuckoo Marans we can't tell apart. The two RIRs we can tell apart because one is bigger, but the new ones are red stars who look identical, as well as another red star mom and her three babies who are getting big and look just like the mom, except for the white baby who we suspect is a rooster. The rest of them we've had for awhile and know who is who.

Same here. Most of mine look different, and they have different personalities. I would use little rings if I need to keep track of a few chickens, or if you have only RIR’s since they all look the same.
I know people with the same chicken use bands a lot but honestly I notice such a difference in each chicken I don't understand why like I guess because they don't pay much attention to them or something? 😂

I have a small flock with different breeds so I don't generally have to do anything to tell them apart. I have a batch of chicks that I will be splitting up in a few weeks (keeping some, giving some to friends, selling the rest), so I will likely use nail polish or similar temporary mark to keep track of them for a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom