what do you do to ward off predators

Cowboy Joe

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
Western NY
I was think about this the other night as I worked on designs for my portable critter tractor and the expansion of the rabbit colony. Motion lights work to some extent as does good fencing, especially if the fence is extended into the ground. Electric fencing is one of the better deterents but not practical for portable housing.

I also set unbaited traps around the coop now and again if I know there is a predator in the area. I've found that this is hit or miss as the predators are often more intelligent than I've given then credit for in the past. Sometimes, I'll set baited traps but only a fair distance from the livestock if predator populations start to increase.

I've also tried dried pepper, dog hair, urine and other scents sprinkled around the perimeter of the fence line without much success.

What else have you tried or are you using to keep predators away?

I heard about using coyote urine, but haven't actually tried it myself. I have started dumping my cat litter boxes around the perimeter (2+ acre "backyard" surrounded by hayfields and riverbottoms) and have 3 blueheelers roaming loose, also. I've been wanting to try the coyote urine just as another precaution. I do leave lights and radio on all night.

Is your run incorporated in the "tractor", if so there seems to be no reason you could'nt use a solar fence charger mounted on the wall or foof for your electric fencing.

Good dogs in wireless, invisible fencing! Got the dog pee and hair and the total package all in one place....
lol.png
They even launch a counter attack for feathered predators....they will jump up in the air trying to catch them!

Quote:
Are you sayin' my big doofuses don't look scary?
big_smile.png

(they sure do SOUND scary when they're facing something down, at least, and that seems to work so far!)

Well........not yet, they don't! Sorry!
lol.png
They sure are beautiful, though! I have a GP mix and she looks like a polar bear sometimes, so I think she looks too cute to be mean......but the teeth and deep bark help alot to dispel any lingering "Awwww" feelings!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom