What do you do when you can't sleep...other than...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by peapickinchicks, Oct 14, 2008.

1. peapickinchicks

peapickinchicks Songster

May 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    being on BYC. I probably have not actually had a GOOD nights rest since I was a teenager. I always wake up to go pee, then can't go back to sleep,[​IMG]. WHY....WHY...OH WHY...anyhoo I watch DVD's of Walton's or Little House on the Prairie. How about you....

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i get up and do something mundane to turn my brain off.

when it is beyond worth going back to sleep, i just get up and get going![​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap

I take Ristoril (Temazepam). I have been an insomniac most of my life and that stuff WORKS. It doesn't leave me with groggy side effects and I sleep.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Unisom. [​IMG]

5. peapickinchicks

peapickinchicks Songster

May 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Sometimes if I haven't had decent rest for a few days I'll take a Benedryl to help me stay asleep dosen't always work but worth a try when I'm sooo tired, but it does leave me groggy the next day,[​IMG],[​IMG]....did I just reply to myself,[​IMG],[​IMG]

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

lunesta [​IMG]
    but i take that so i can get at least 4 hours sleep,, without maybe 2 hours at the most.
    and if i wake,, i start work [​IMG]

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    benedryl and unisom are the same thing. i had a bout of sleeplessness that was pretty bad due to sickness and when it first started, i asked the pharmacist to tell me which would be better.

he looked at me, pointed to the ingredients...the exact same thing!

8. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Songster

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I avoid drinking too many fluids about an hour before bed, then go use the bathroom right before I lay down in bed. If I can't fall asleep, or if I wake up and can't get back to sleep I pull out my guilty pleasure... Soduku - it usually doesn't take too long to feel my eyelids start to droop. If it's not a work night and it doesn't matter so much if I can't fall back to sleep, sometimes I'll bust out my crocheting and do a few lines on a blanket I've been working on for ... forever! [​IMG]

Good luck!

9. menageriemama

menageriemama Songster

Feb 2, 2008
    Superior, WI
    Benadryl and a good, but not too good, book [​IMG]

eta: I have also used melatonin as a sleep aid and it works really well. You can find it in the vitamin/nutrition section of the store.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Reading relaxes me enough to go back to sleep sometimes, as does a bubble bath and drinking a cup of chamomile tea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: