What do you do when you have too many eggs?

Quote:
my local food bank will NOT accept eggs... their reasons are
we dont know how old that are
we dont know if they are safe
your "farm" is not government inspected and its a liability issue of anyone gets sick

I have called my local food bank, my local salvation army, the churches and get the same answer... BUT the food bank will give my name to people if they want eggs and the person directly call me because then its an agreement between myself and the people in need.... but to date i have never had anyone call... I cant imagine going to a food bank and then being told to go to this person.. asking for help is tough enough to be told to go ask someone else...it boggles my mind

if you have snobby food banks like I do... ask at the local school.. I have found that my daughters principal is more then happy to accept them. the principal generally knows some families in need within the school and hands them out that way...

WOW! That's fantastic. Dar, your being someone who goes the extra TWO mile to help others makes you SPECIAL.

It will sound odd but everyone i have ever made this for ends up asking me to make it again.

The recipe is one my mother used to make us when we were kids. I have no idea where the inspiration for it came from but it is very easy and kids seem to love it.

You cook up egg noodles and after draining them place them back into the pot. Crack one or two eggs over the top and scramble the them onto the noodles and return to low/medium heat. Stir constantly to ensure the scrambled eggs stick to the noodles and not the pan. Once the eggs are cooked fairly dry, move them to a bowl and splash La Choy soy sauce (there is a low sodium version) over the top. It can be eaten at this point, although I usually add sauteed mushrooms and sometimes asparagus pieces too. It is not gourmet but it is fast and easy and the eggs get eaten.

Last edited:
I have a recipe for vanilla custard that uses 10 egg yolks. It is totally yummy. I use the whites for angel food cake.

Also, I have a recipe for quiche that uses 4 eggs. I get 2 frozen pie shells and make 2 quiches at a time. That uses 8 eggs.
They freeze great.

If I find myself inundated in eggs, I make a batch of vanilla custard (or chocolate, or butterscotch, etc.,) angel food cake and 2 quiches. That uses 18 eggs and it's not too much trouble.

Then I bake the shells for about 10 minutes and crumble them up and give them to the chickens.

I'm looking forward to learning to make real and fresh eggnog this holiday season. I have a source of raw whole milk. Should be delish.

Last edited:
Check out the recipes for the various Fritattas: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hot-or-Cold-Vegetable-Frittata/Detail.aspx

There's
also egg salad for sandwiches, quiches, deviled eggs, soft boiled eggs...

I sell my extras to a guy my hubby works with. I make sure my chicks are totally free range and fed organic food, so he's thrilled to pay $2.50/doz. Saves him about a $1/doz from store bought certified organic eggs. He basically pays for my 'chicken habit'.

Back
Top Bottom