What do you do when you have too many eggs?

FarmerWife

Songster
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
Hello all !
I have a question, maybe some of you can help me? I saw someone had posted a similar question, and I'm in the same boat she's in. We're a small family of three, but we have 13 hens. Normally we give our eggs away, but at least this once, I'd like to know what kinds of things can be done with them besides pickling? I don't care for them, and my husband and daughter don't like them either. Sooooooo, is there anything else that can be done with them? Do they have to be pickled when you can them? Can anything else be done with them? Thanks a bunch in advance for any help!

Blessings, grace and peace,

Dianna

I have about the same amount of laying hens, and I give the eggs to my adult kids. I've got about four customers who buy them pretty regularly, and they give me their egg cartons so I never have to buy them.

There was a thread somewhere that had some pictures of Christmas ornaments that a lady made from eggs that she had blown out, and I was surprised that they were so beautiful.

We love our eggs though. Most people who try them just thing they taste soooo much better than store bought. I even have a lady friend with cancer, and she swears that they're the only thing she can tolerate after her cemotherapy. She said the store bought eggs just don't agree with her. So I give her eggs for free.

I cut cartons in half, and give out half-dozen samples to people who ask about them. I have brown egg layers mostly, but I also had some EEs and one white egg layer, so people like getting the different colors.

Some people are kinda quirky though......they just thing the eggs with different colored shells are weird, and won't even give them a chance.

Well, aside from potatoe salad, or egg salad, I really can't think of much else......

you can freeze them... and use them in baking later...

crack egg into an ice cube tray or into a baggie and freeze..i freeze them in a snack size baggie in 2's .. most baking requires eggs 2 at a time

I was thinking about freezing, but most freezing tutorials for eggs say you have to break the yolks and add salt to keep the yolks from coagulating. If you just put them in an icecube tray do they need to be 'scrambled' or salt/sugar added?

I have five dozen eggs in the fridge and that's even with bringing two dozen a week to work.
smile.png

We also have brown egg layers, mostly. We have two that lay light beige colored eggs, and one that lays green eggs. We originally had nine hens, but we were given four more a few weeks ago. I posted about our chickens eating their eggs not long ago, I think you also answered that post. The problem is resolved now, thank goodness! Hopefully we'll find something else to do with them, to preserve them in some way. We have never sold any as of yet, but we have had a couple of people ask, and yes, they also swear they taste better than store bought. I agree!!! Most of the time when the eggs are too many, we just call people to come get them. Maybe I should start selling them, they are much more healthy than those from the store! Thanks for the post!!

Blessings,
Dianna

Do you have to do anything special to freeze them? Is salt necessary, or can I just pop them into freezer bags, and keep them frozen until I need them?

Blessings,
Dianna

I had the very same question only 2 weeks after my hens started laying and got a lot of good ideas check out the link to my thread ont his topic.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4954419

as of right now I have 20 dozen eggs in my fridge ahahahaha, but this weekend I am hard boiling them all. leaving a dozen for my kids to nibble on, egg salad or what ever, making a dozen for my pups, a dozen for my chickens, and then I am pickling the rest :)

Quote:
I never have....I scramble them and freeze them... never added anything to them

I will only keep a doz frozen on hand so I know how old they are and i know they will get used fast...

I will drop them off to my daughters school too. I have told the principal that if he uses them thats fine. If he knows of a family that can use them thats fine too I do know the schools breakfast club uses them too

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom