What Do You Do When Your Dogs Are The Killers?

Quote:
Again, a responsiblity issue. Basenji's by nature are almost still "wild." They are African dogs that have only been domesticated since the 30's or 40's. They were brought to the US around that time, and are natural scape goats. They will try to get out of anything, anywhere, at any time.

And contrary to what everyone thinks, its more healthy for the dog, to kennel train them and keep them kenneled when left alone. A properly size kennel is a comfortable spot for a dog. They regard it as their safe place, and will often return there to sleep on their own, if the door is left open. As long as they are able to stand up and turn around inside, then it is properly sized.

Research, research, research..... I can't stress it enough.

Quote:
Okay, I gotta say something here --

Your dogs are NOT "torturing other animals for fun".

I presume you've heard of squeaky toys?? Well, to a dog a chick is just a squeaky toy. The dog has no concept that it is causing the bird any pain. It's just being a dog!

For those of you who are still in the throes of trying to live with both chickens and chicken-crazy dogs, think about using a basket muzzle along with all your other measures. Dogs can pant, bark, drink, and do everything they need to do while wearing a basket muzzle -- except for biting. For doberman-sized muzzles, you can buy them cheaply at The National Greyhound Association web site. For other size muzzles, check online pet supply companies.

I have a foster dog wearing a muzzle every day right now, because he likes to fight with other dogs (pretty common with male dobes). He was previously adopted, but returned to us because of killing chickens. And guess what -- unless I manage to get him adopted out again, he'll get to go stare at the chickens at my new property, too!

Have you tried a shock collar? A quick zap when they go for ( or even look like their getting ready) and they'll learn pretty quick to ignore the chickens.

I just recently got my chickens and guineas, and haven't let them free range yet, but my dogs follow me out to the run when I go to feed/water and I have them lay down outside the fence and watch. When the aussie starts pacing the fence and paying too much attention to the chicks, I settle him back down quick. I'm sure the dogs can learn not to mess with the chicks.

Okay, I am probably going to be yelled at on here by somebody, but here is our story. We got a 9 month old lab from the shelter and he is a GREAT dog except he likes the taste of chicken. I did everything I could think of and nothing stopped the killing. I lost three of my chickens this way and one of them was my all time favorite. Getting rid of the dog was just not an option for my family and me because 1) we love him and he is part of the family and 2) he needed us so I opted to get a shock collar. The shock collar is only used for chicken chasing and I mean nothing else. Any other behaviour issues he may have can be dealt with in other ways IMO. This has been a life saver for us. It took three good zaps and I believe he is broken 98%. Yes, I still don't trust him with them but he leaves them alone. Tonight he was laying in the backyard and they were strutting all around him and he looked at me like "Do you see these birds". I petted him and gave him his cookies.

I really think this is the best option for us because we all have to live together and if he ever ran off we have lots of other families with chickens in the area and if he ate them; they would shoot and ask questions later.

Shock collar, mean yes maybe but it definitely works for us. I want to add that I LOVE MY DOG VERY MUCH AND CONSIDER HIM PART OF MY FAMILY!

If the place doesn't take them back, you might want to try slowly introducing them. If you take 1 chick and in a controlled place show it to the dogs, removing it when ever they get too excited, they may learn. You should also have quick responses if the dog tries to take part of the bird in its mouth. If the dogs are well enough trained they will stop immediately. Collies are very smart and so are labs. Your dogs should catch on very quickly that the bird does NOT go in the mouth. This is how we trained all 6 of our dogs (2 poodles, 1 lab/border collie, 1 Lasa Apso, 1 Corgi, and 1 nonsense). After they know not to touch inside the house, take them out on Leashes and call them back if they follow/chase the chickens. HOpe that works
smile.png

Guess that depends on the pup! That's why the advice was coupled with a caution to observe the parents for intelligence and temperament. My pup is smart and has killed a coon, but no chickens. A river rat, but no chickens. A groundhog and numerous mice and moles, but no chickens. They help themselves to his food and dust in his favorite dusting hole. No dead chickens yet...going on a year. Some dogs are more intelligent and easier to train. Be sure and get a good one....ask questions, observe the parents on the farm, get referrals from satisfied customers. There is no mystery involved. Some people are very successful with dogs and chickens....some aren't.

amazondoc- Thanks for the tip about basket muzzels!!! We have been dealing with this issue for about 3 months now, it started right about the time I began telling people about how great my dogs were with the chickens
roll.png

I have been thinking and thinking about what to do, the most simple and effective method etc... I considered a shock collar, but I just cant do it. They are just doing what most dogs would do, and I am sure they think that chasing the chickens is great fun. I had resolved to be more dilligent about keeping the birds and dogs seperated. It worked, but my days of enjoying my hens roaming around our property seemed over. Anyway, I am going to get a couple of those muzzels tomorrow, and I think that might just do the trick!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I agree with the others on the shock collar issue. I intend to buy one for the ex's dang dog, as soon as my scholarship money comes in, and I intend to train her to respect the fact that I am the alpha, and that those are MY chickens and she is not to harm them. She is a birddog, and she cant help being a little dumb,( I am biased, I admit it) but I refuse to dump her on some shelter, shes not mean, shes not a lost cause, shes just ignorant and silly and I have no tolerance for either, but I wont abandon her for it. My ex has been very irresponsible with her, and he never taught her any manners, including the fact that you dont steal from the kids or poop on the doorstep, and I am now having to deal with her issues, even though I dont like birddogs.
The way things are in most shelters are across the country, due to the foreclosures and housing upheavals, animals that are repeats, or with issues, are getting either rejected outright by ,"No-Kill" shelters, or they are getting put down right away due to space at other shelters. Phoenix is in bad shape, and that is why I am taking in another dog this weekend. He is a Mastiff that is big and drooly, and scary looking and he was facing death. I think drool is cool and I love Mastiffs and hounds, so he will have a chance up here, even though I need another mouth to feed like I need another hole in the head.
Dont give up on them, calm down, take a deep breath, and re-think your coop, and look at it as a challenge to save something worth saving, and passing on an important lesson to your kids, YOU DONT QUIT WHEN THINGS GET HARD, WHEN YOU LOVE SOMETHING OR SOMEONE.

Our dogs rammed headfirst into the run over and over, no matter how much we reinforced it, to get to the chickens. Needless to say, we gave up our two dogs to a farm nearby. They didn't have livestock or poultry there. I never want another dog, btw.

I feel your pain. :aww

Back
Top Bottom