1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do YOU do with a year's worth of DeepLitterMethod's used litter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Carolyn252, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

In the Spring, I plan on emptying my two chicken's four-foot by four-foot square coop of its year's accumulation of chicken poop, pine shavings, DE and feathers. What should I do with it all so that it doesn't attract flies, and doesn't start to smell in the hot sun of summer? I'm guessing the litter is now about eight inches deep on the floor of the coop. Might be about a foot deep by the time the weather really warms up around here at the end of June/beginning of July.

2. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    We till it into our garden. Our produce size and quality has improved so much since we started doing this.

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    side dress a hedge row?

4. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    goes into the garden and around the trees in the orchard

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Ours gets spread over the garden and around the fruit trees.

6. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    There are plans out there for a Digester(one step beyond composter), which you can use to heat your house. Can't remember where the link is, but I'm sure I can find it again.

7. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Be careful chicken poop is a hot ferilizer. And wood chips can raise you acid levels in the soil. The best thing to do is let is compost first. We only put it directly on the garden at the beginning of fall and rotatill it in so it has the rest of fall, all of winter and part of spring to compost into the soil some. I have two big compost piles that we put it in thru the spring and summer. It is great fertilizer though.

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    If the garden bed are empty (between seasons) it gets mixed in. Usually it is put in the side yard to compost first. We add some to the fruit trees as well. We also put some down along the walk ways in our garden to cut down on mud.

9. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    We compost ours.
    If you don't have a compost heap now would be a good time to start one. If you still have leaves on the ground that you can rake up they would be an excellent start. Read up on what to add and what to avoid and I guarantee you'll be glad you did come summer.....[​IMG]

10. chicklinde

chicklinde New Egg

Aug 15, 2009
    st. louis area
    we compost ours all year than dig it in the beds come spring. wonderful fertilizer![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by