What do you do with all of your roosters?

Mine end up feeding my family for a few reasons. After all the time and feed that went into raising them, I'd rather get a meal or two out of them rather than give them away to be somebody else's dinner. And I don't have to buy as much commercially produced meat. I'd rather eat a cockerel that lived a humane life rather than purchase commercially raised meat.

You have to get them to the size where it's worth eating them , my 8 week old Roos almost ripped each other's necks fighting ....
killing chicks is heartbreaking.

Don't incubate unless you're prepared for the consequences... those bags of baby roosters being killed in factories is not a joke, it happens .

Getting rid of roosters is almost impossible here, but I've done it if I give them away!!

It gets a lot easier to see them as meals when those boys start to hit 14 to 16 weeks old and the hormones start raging. They can really start to terrorize a flock.
Man you got that right. I've got a pen of 17 cockerels right now and I can't wait till our BBQ 13 days, 2 hours, 31 minutes, and 15 seconds from now. I changed the name of the pen they're in from M5 to Cell Block 1.

Man you got that right. I've got a pen of 17 cockerels right now and I can't wait till our BBQ 13 days, 2 hours, 31 minutes, and 15 seconds from now. I changed the name of the pen they're in from M5 to Cell Block 1. 
[/quote]

That's great!! My three were going to kill each other we did not make it past 8 weeks , it is true though if there are no hens to fight for they are a bit calmer ...between the bull and the roosters I'm becoming a sexist
1f61b.png
1f648.png
1f61b.png

We had a FBCM roo and Black Cochin roo that were brooded together. As soon as they came into sexual maturity the FBCM made short work of the gentle Black Cochin. Very heartbreaking to find him dead, but I learned my lesson. There can only be one cock in the hen house!

We had a FBCM roo and Black Cochin roo that were brooded together. As soon as they came into sexual maturity the FBCM made short work of the gentle Black Cochin. Very heartbreaking to find him dead, but I learned my lesson. There can only be one cock in the hen house!

Sorry to hear that. Not always true, though; I've never had only one rooster/cockerel with my hens. I've never had less than 3 roosters at a time.

I give my extras away. No questions asked, I just let 'em go...

I have about 5 boys in my flock of 30. It really depends on breed and how they were raised. Would I raise 5 cockerels together if I didn't have a senior rooster? No way! There needs to be a boss man to show them the ropes, IMO.

Sorry for your loss, Amanda. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom