what do you do with all the chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by smom1976, Jun 20, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    What do you do with all the chicks?

Lots of people are hatching, where do you put all the chicks.

2. rroven

rroven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    Well....Mine go into an indoor brooder ( I used an old book case laid on its back, shelves removed and lined with plastic) for the first week then they go out to a brooder house my DH converted from a small greenhouse. After they are about 6 weeks old they will go into their own coop and pen. I will be keeping any different breeds separate. At 12 weeks old approximately, I'II start selling fertilized eggs and hopefully hatch some more to improve my lines. Oh, did I mention that I am a hatchaholic?[​IMG]

3. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Yes - that certainly a dilemna! I'm begging my dh to build be another chicken barn, so I can make separate pens for the different breeds.

If I had the room, I'd be hatching all the time. [​IMG]

4. rroven

rroven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    Quote:I hear ya Jubaby...I just keep getting in deeper and deeper....

5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I keep the ones I like the most and the rest go to the auction makes enough to support my addiction, I mean hobby!

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I do something similar to rroven...we brood ours for a few weeks, then they go out to the coop with a lamp for heat until they're about 6 weeks old. Some we butcher for meat, others we keep for eggs. Then we incubate our own eggs and start the process all over again! This year we hope to incorporate some new breeds into the flock as well.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:What kind do you have that start laying at 12 weeks!!??

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The extra roosters go in my freezer. Blue orp roo for dinner.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Since I hate butchering chickens my extras go to the local poultry auction.

10. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

We are very fortunate as we sell the day olds we do not want to keep. Then we keep the replacement pullets and sometimes if the little guy is exceptional he gets to stay. We have several different breeds. My husband has his favorites, I have mine and my children have the ones they like. So we have several/many different pens so they do not mix breeds. We are now in the process of building another big;)[​IMG] coop. RIRs are what we have the most of but my son thinks we need more as they so far are our best layers. We are trying to keep only the best of the best. It for us is a learning process but we all seem to love those little babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by