what do you do with all the poop ?

In my yard I don't have a designated garden, so I just plant my veggies in the gaps between the other plants. So, is it safe to put down the chicken poo on the bare patches between my existing plants right away, or do I need to give the poo time to not be hot anymore before I spread it out on the ground? If I do need to wait, does it count to keep in dry in a trash can until Spring and then spread it out where I'm going to put my plants? Or does it have to be officially composted first?

When I change out the littler in my chicken house it goes into a big black bag lined metal trash can. Once full it goes out to my garden to cook in the bag. Once my toe-maters are finished I'll spread it and hubby will till it under to compost thru the winter. I just started putting wide pieces of paneling under my roosts over night. It's really shocking to see the amount of poo they put out through the night. Goodness, and I've been leaving all that in the litter and changing it out once a week. I'll be putting up poop boards as soon as I figure out how. It's sure worth the little extra time it takes to put them down at night and pick them up and scrape in the mornings!

Quote:
Please be careful about size and moisture, if too big compost can combust, its especially bad in dry areas. Grass gets pretty hot, I remember a few yars back there was a large fire caused by a guy storing leaf litter and yard debris in piles. Idealy an active pile should be 3'x3' and as moist as a wrung sponge.

I compost the chicken and goose poop / shavings along with the guinea pig litter, yard waste and vegetable / fruit scraps that are not good enough for the chickens. usually have 3 piles in different stages. If you go to a coffee place like starbucks you can usually get a good amount of used coffee grounds from them, mix that in a cold pile and its hot the next day. The piles usually get black soldier flies, they look like wasps but are harmless and the larva are awesome for compost, they can stand more heat than earthworms and will help to keep bad flies from breeding in the piles.

Back
Top Bottom