• Give away

Votes: 213 64.4%
  • Throw away

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 88 26.6%

• Total voters
Pics
Yet another downside to upsizing flocks! :lau Chicken math is fun to joke about, but it means more dusting and medicating when problems arise, bigger housing need, and an absolute glut of eggs! Been there - and I was too stoopid to learn the first time! I downsized the flock, the addiction eased, and then the next year's chick pictures, sales, and catalogs happened. Oh oh! Duh, Diane - can you say "don't do it again."? But I did. :he No more, I swear! I'm getting 6 chicks when I can finally get a flock again and that's IT!!

I suppose you've done the "feed them back to the chickens" thing until they're almost sick of eggs, too. With the recent salmonella scares, those food banks and pantries which used to accept eggs don't anymore - not that any around here ever did. So hmmmm, how about donating to pet shops? Some of them will take them for larger snakes. Or humane societies or no-kill shelters that sometimes take them to add to the dogs' food for extra protein and to make the coats shinier. Supposedly sometimes a shiny coat vs a dull one can mean the difference between a dog being adopted or passed over. Never made much sense to me, but I don't understand a lot of things people think. :confused: Um, I'm out of ideas. :oops:

We stack them up in the fridge in egg cartons. We love eggs especially for dinner. Lunch could be a egg sandwich which I do. Sell them in front of your house. Here they are going for about $3.00 a carton. Neighbor across the street sells hers in front of her house. I heard you can freeze them but you should look up how this is done since I've never done this. We bake and cook with our eggs. At the end of summer last year and previous years we had 6-8 cartons of eggs to last us a while in the fall and into winter.

We just have three senior ladies laying but next year the new eight chicks will be laying.

Eggs most people have breakfast and have eggs. Neighbor has three eggs for breakfast everyday. I have 2-3 for dinner when we have breakfast for dinner. Make egg salad and meals with eggs, cakes and brownies all take eggs.

If we have a broken egg I scramble the egg(s) and feed them to the girls. Egg is in a different form so the hens will not know. Ours love eggs and they gobble them up like it's a treat.

There is lots of good ideas here just try some of them.

How many eggs do you actually eat in a day? How many days in a week do you eat eggs?

I ask cause I’m always worried that we could be eating too many eggs.
I heard Dr.Oz, or was it The Doctors, say that a man should have an egg a day. So as a man I start every day with an egg. Many days I will also have a couple pickled eggs as well.
So I personally average a dozen a week. The better half probably a half dozen.

I just scrambled up 6 egg's and mixed it and some cabbage into some wet feed for them, and they gobbled it all down excitedly. With mixing it into the wet feed they have to eat that too, and not just the egg and cabbage, plus it helps to get more water into them.

I really like your method of mixing the scrambled egg with the wet feed and greens. Really nice for a treat.

Love this idea! Will try it this week. I too have an abundance of eggs with very few to sell to. Ughhhh...chicken math!

:lau Chicken math? I have hen's laying, pullet's that have just started laying, pullet's growing out, and hatching egg's in the incubator. No shortage of egg's here!

I'm getting up to 10 eggs a day and am quickly running out of options for what to do with them. Short of chucking them, that is.

My friends are all stocked up, we are sick of eating eggs and now we have a backlog in the 20's. So, what are some things you guys do to use up those extra eggs? Today's basket (from yesterday and today)
View attachment 1750999
Try pickling them.

Back
Top Bottom