What do you do with all your eggs?!

My wife and I like to go to a neighborhood gym twice a week to attend a water aerobics class that doesn't start till 6:30pm. The hens will put themselves up on the roost inside the henhouse, but we are not there to close the henhouse up (to protect them from predators).

So my neighbor comes over at dusk on those two nights, and she checks things over then closes them up for the evening. We "pay" her in the form of eggs -- she collects the day's eggs and brings them home to her family.

She LOVES the quality of our eggs, so she's happy to do that for us in exchange for the day's lay. And it helps us - both in allowing us to attend the class we want to go to, and also, because we are left with fewer excess eggs at the end of the week.

Hi everyone!

I have only THREE hens, which are just about to lay (one started six days ago), but I know many of you have a dozen, two dozen, maybe more, hens!

And it got me to thinking. Do you sell your eggs? Give them to family? Just eat a LOT of eggs?! Maybe some of your hens are senior citizens and don't lay anymore.

So, I'm interested to know, what do you do with all your eggs?

I give mine to our street neighbors by conducting an egg run. It’s surprising what I get back in return - pineapple upside down cake, lemon slices and hamburger meat. The barter system is a wonderful tool.

I have only five chookies. I don't wash eggs until I use them or sell them. I don't give anyone icky eggs. I don't scrub the life out of them, either. I do tell folks they keep better if they're not washed until use.

I do like Madonna m's idea, though!

True about people don't understand unwashed eggs
I have 12 hens and 3 ducks we get 3 duck eggs a day and about 8 chicken eggs which is way too many for us
I'm curious to see what others do with extras
GREAT THREAD IDEA

Look for recipes on the internet! I found one for a pound cake that requires 6 eggs - so that's getting rid of a whole bunch of eggs at one time. Then, if you want to, you can give pound cake away or sell it, whichever works best for your situation. My husband loves having pound cake around to have with his coffee!

People I trade with know our eggs are unwashed and not refrigerated.
I wish I could sell some extras. The guy who set up our internet wanted to buy 2 dozen a week rather than go to the Indian reservation, but we aren't allowed to sell from our back yard so I said no.

Back
Top Bottom