What do you do with all your eggs?!

<I>I visited the CDC page. Time to start thinking about reducing the risk. Thanks for looking out for us.
Reducing the Risk of Salmonella Enteritidis Infection<I>

Don't put much stock in ANYTHING from CDC. That place is 90% kook politics and fake "science". Look at the current flu problem to see how effective they were at developing the 2017 flu vaccine. Might as well go to Wikipedia or a Ouija board as to CDC,

I've got 20 hens and 4 roosters, also 8 ducks, 3 hens and 5 drakes, we get a lot of eggs but I have 7 people in my family so most of them are used up by me and family members. Extra eggs are fed to our dogs, my parents breed German Shepherds and we have a lot of dogs that like eggs. This year i have ordered 75 chicks from Murray McMurray hatchery, 25 cornish roasters, 25 red rangers, and 25 rare breeds, 5 different types, 5 of each type, 25 total. The 25 rare breeds will be kept for eggs, the 50 others will be used for meat, the dogs will get a lot of eggs & chicken meat this year. Along with the 75 chicks i also plan to hatch several ducks, around 20, and I also plan to hatch around 20 chick eggs, roos will be killed and frozen, hens will be used for eggs. Also, I am getting peafowl, their eggs will be hatched and sold.

well I live in a farm, I own 30 something hens and my mom eats alot of eggs, I also give my friends and family eggs sometimes for free and I also have 5 people that buy eggs from me regularly :thumbsup

Boil, or cook the eggs some way and give them back to the chickens. Good food for them and the dogs or cats. Make angel food, brownies, sponge cakes, etc.

Most of mine end up in the compost :( I don't want to give away any with poo on them and I don't think "regular people" would understand why they aren't washed. I swap some for veggie scraps. I used to give some to some people I knew, but they moved away to the country. Now they just pile up and I throw them away periodically.

If you give your chix diatomaceous earth, your eggs will come out clean and gorgeous! Not only does it worm them, but it's great for overall health.

Buttery Lemon Curd recipe
Ingredients
5 large lemons
5 medium-to-large eggs
250g of butter (!), room temperature
400g of golden caster sugar
2tsp of cornflour

Makes just under 3lbs of lovely lemon curd

Method

0. Prepare your jars: wash them in very hot soapy water then rinse them with clear water and put them in a low oven (160C/gas mark 3 max) for about 15 mins. As this recipe only takes about 20 mins max (depending on how fast you are at zesting and squeezing lemons!), it’s best to prepare the jars in advance.

1. Grate the zest from the lemons into a decent sized bowl then juice the lemons (through a sieve to catch pips and pulp) into the bowl as well. Add the sugar to the juice too, and stir it through so the sugar starts to dissolve.

2. Crack the eggs into a large saucepan (doesn’t have to be a stock pot or preserving pan – the heat is low and it doesn’t “spit”) and with the heat off, whisk them together using a big balloon whisk. If they’re fresh from the garden like ours, this may take a little while!

3. Dice the butter into small cubes then add to the pan. Whisking pretty much constantly, heat the butter and eggs over a medium heat until the butter starts to melt.

4. Add the lemon & sugar mix to the pan and sieve in the 2tsp of cornflour. Continue heating & whisking for about 5-6 minutes until the mixture thickens to a curd consistency (it’s pretty gloopy to start with but there is a point where it noticeably thickens).

5. Lower the heat to as low as it’ll go (or if you’re using a heavy pan, turn it off completely as it will stay warm enough) and continue whisking more slowly for another minute.

6. Pour into the jars and seal immediately.

Because of the eggs and the butter, it has a pretty short shelf life – most people advise keeping it in the fridge and using it within a few weeks.

but it's great for overall health.
No offence, but I'm old enough to have seen what happened to the residents of Wittenoom and, having dealt with people with mesothelioma and silicosis, I would never willingly fling silica about, however much they tell me of its safety or value. I know it's popular, but it's not for me.

My girls won't cooperate. They won't lay in the boxes, they sleep in the boxes, and there's always some clucky mummy who sits on all the eggs. I got a rollaway nest box and the girls in there have now decided to lay BEHIND it (and under their sleeping roost).
I'd like for somebody to have them, but trying to find somebody who can deal with a bit of chicken poo is too much of a challenge. Anyone who understands about "bloom" and all that probably has their own chooks.
A Neighbor that has hens for many years ( ducks & geese &turkeys too) who was a 4-H leader whose son raised winning birds. Still has some that won’t lay where they’re supposed to. He doesn’t let them out until 10am so they all lay inside the hen house.
I am really new to owning chicks but am a germaphobe So I read a lot about washing or not of eggs. I tidy nesting boxes daily pic out any poop handful of fresh shavings, I also kept moving things until eggs started going in nesting boxes. I wish I had understood roosting better before I let my spouse/builder talk me into a simpler coop because now some roost on topof the boxes and it is messier than I bargained for.
Anyhow paper towel off wet poop give away with a bloom lecture series the eggs last longer blah blah... or wash in hot running water and say use within a month or so. Is sad to think your eggs go in the compost. I never thought about stocking up brilliant!!
I have a receipt for storing eggs in lime water in a crock from early 1900’s

Back
Top Bottom