What do you do with an aggressive rooster?

austrolover1

Songster
Dec 14, 2015
Ok, I was bending down in my chicken coop collecting the eggs and my HUGE austrolorp rooster runs at me and jumps on me twice!!! I obviously was not expecting it because I have heard what docile chickens austrolorps are! Thankfully, he doesn't have big spurs yet but he still scratched me through a thick jean skirt (it was the night before church). Is there any way to stop him from attacking me or is the only way is to give him away. Help!!!

This might sound harsh. But any rooster that will attack humans I put down. I have small nephews that I can't take a chance with. Plus if you hatch eggs you don't want that aggression in your bloodline. The best answer is put him on the dinner table. If you do happen to give home away. Make sure you make the person aware he's aggressive. So they don't have anyone get hurt. In the end he will probably get put down by someone.

My BA rooster tried that too but every time I go in the coop run I show it who is the top boss, I chase it around now it leaves me alone. If it becomes aggressive again it will have to go to freezer camp.

Ok, I was bending down in my chicken coop collecting the eggs and my HUGE austrolorp rooster runs at me and jumps on me twice!!! I obviously was not expecting it because I have heard what docile chickens austrolorps are! Thankfully, he doesn't have big spurs yet but he still scratched me through a thick jean skirt (it was the night before church). Is there any way to stop him from attacking me or is the only way is to give him away. Help!!!

When you bent down your rooster likely though that you were ceding dominance to him. And once weakness is detected chickens go in for the kill. Ask anyone who has a dominant rooster (or hen for that matter) that suddenly became sick or injured. Don't over estimate the IQ of a chicken, they are ruled by instinct.

Thanks guys!!! I may put him down eventually, but I will chase him around and maybe hit him with a rake or something like that first, just to give him a chance.

Ya good luck. Just don't injure him with the rake and let him suffer. If he doesn't shape up put him down. Show him your boss. And if you have children keep them away for the time being.

Sometimes a rooster will try out attacking it's owner, it doesn't always mean he plans to do it forever, especially if you get on it right away, never give your back to him, always face him, use a rake, broom or a chicken catching net to move him away and chase him off, don't back down and wait until he gives his back before you walk away, keeping an eye on him, I also will toss a plastic container at a rooster if he's either mating or yanking on a hen in my presence, it startles them and gets their attention, if he's a good rooster he will think better awfully quick, if he continues to try to come after you after a week or two than he may be a lost cause.

I would maybe try to walk through him once or twice, and if he doesn't get the message, someone needs to invite him to dinner. In years past, I had nasty boys who needed 'attitude adjustments' and it nearly always failed. Crock pot! Mary

Lots of threads on raising Roos - a water pistol is a pretty good way of asserting dominance - after a few squirts, my roo would run away from me if he saw me with it.

Agreed though - he needs to meet mr crockpot.

Ct

Welcome to BYC!

How old is he?
How have you handled him in the past?

Show no fear, they can feel your anxiety, it makes them nervous and more likely to behave badly.
Be the boss, calm, confident, move thru him if he's in your way....beating on him is not likely to be helpful.
All humans interacting with birds need these skills....if you have little kids around, might be best to get rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom