What do you do with beets?

My new favorite salad:

on a bed of baby spinach

Roasted beets, cooled and cubed
goat cheese, crumbled
walnuts toasted in saute pan and mixed with maple syrup
dressing : fresh squeezed orange juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil.

crusty bread to sop up the leftover dressing

I could eat this every day. In fact, I plan to grow so many beets next year that I CAN eat this every day!

Quote:
droolin.gif

last time i had beets in my fridge..
sickbyc.gif

I boiled them up for my chickens and pigs and mixed them with oatmeal... ... they liked them..
smile.png

Quote:
when we were in Cuba, Alicia ate so many beets that she broke out in a rash... **picture this** 7 yr old girl... very tiny build.. dinner plate FULL of shredded beets I mean this plate was stacked 4" high she did this for 3 meals in a row.. she ended up with a rash... she loves beets

Quote:
when we were in Cuba, Alicia ate so many beets that she broke out in a rash... **picture this** 7 yr old girl... very tiny build.. dinner plate FULL of shredded beets I mean this plate was stacked 4" high she did this for 3 meals in a row.. she ended up with a rash... she loves beets

What ARE you teaching that child! Dear God! Not beets! Send her to me..i'll fix her...
tongue.png

*redhen HATES beets..*

Quote:

What ARE you teaching that child! Dear God! Not beets! Send her to me..i'll fix her...
tongue.png

*redhen HATES beets..*

She LOVES Beets, pickles, pickles onions, cherry or grape tomatoes, and black and green olives... she is not the typical kid

Russian Borscht is amazing. It has a bunch of other veggies too and is probably one of the healthiest soups I make. All vegetables except for the beef broth and super filling! Most recipes are pretty similar, but you can pick one that sounds the best to you!

Quote:
That's what I do.

my mom used to pickle them and use them cut up in green salads. YUM>

I ESPECIALLY LOVE Beet Greens in the summer!!!

Cook them up and then butter and lemon juice. YUM

I grew beets in my garden this fall - just for the fun of it. Wouldn't you know it - - - I grew a bumper crop of them. The only person in my house who really likes CANNED beets is my husband.

I had never cooked FRESH beets until this year. I can't find my recipe. At the time, I goggle many recipes and ended up doing something like the Boil and drizzle olive oil recipe mentioned a few posts back. THESE WERE FANTASTIC !! My son and I (previously not beet LOVERS) LOVED these. They were incrediblely sweet!

I think we peeled ours first. The boiling takes a long time. It is like boiling potatoes. We cut them into bite size pieces before we boiled them - - like boiling potatoes for potatoe salad. After they cooked long enough that they were fork tender, we drained them and drizzled with oil. Salt and Pepper to taste.

WARNING:
It is possible to eat so many FRESH Beets that you will pass a RED DYE and think you are bleeding from unknow causes.
It is ok - - - FRESH BEETS have a very very potent red dye that can stain anything before you cook it and passes through the body after you eat them. Who Knew?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom