What Do You Do With Chickens Once They Stop Laying (and you don't want them to be eaten or killed)??

cnodgaard

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
Harrisburg
I am only able to accomodate about 5-6 chickens in my stealth city backyard.
I understand chicken only lay for about 3 years.
I'm wondering if there are any chicken "retirement" options.
I love the eggs and I have some chicks in a brooder waiting to be the next egg layers.
I love my girls, but I also love having eggs.
What to do????!?!?
idunno.gif

Unless you get incredibly lucky, you are the retirement option.

You don't want your slow-laying hens (they do lay after that, just not as much) but you don't want them culled...it's hard to imagine where they would go.

What is a "stealth city backyard"?

If you just want to get rid of them then Craigslist is always an option. If you are hoping that they live out the rest of their days in a big bird sanctuary, then you may be overly optimistic. There is little need for worn out layers, unfortunately.

If you don't want to eat them, and you don't want anyone else to eat them, your option is to keep them yourself.

There are no safe pet homes for non-productive chickens. You don't even want them yourself. You can't expect someone else to take over your responsibility. If you want them in a forever home where they are cared for until the day they die of old age, you will have to be the one to provide that home.

It might be hard, but there are people out there that have chickens just to have them... I don't care if I get an egg out of my old girls... Have some 6 years old that still lay, just not as much. I have a farm and chickens are great pooper spreaders. They see a horses tail go up... they are right there waiting for it to drop so they can dig through it and eat bugs, left over feed etc... LOL.

Back
Top Bottom