What do you do with your chickens when they die?

Hello ya'll

Since I recently lost 2 of my favorite chickens for unrelated issues. It got me to thinking...what do you do with your chickens when they die? Do you bury them? Throw them in the trash? Eat them? I am curious. I have started a chicken cemetery it seems. That is definitely not my future plan. I was just curious to know what everyone does with their chickens when they die.

Thanks!
My hubby burns ours
I bury them in my garden, they are pets.
Basil got a nice secluded spot, next to the frog pond, and lots of pretty vines. Somewhere where my other chickens don't dig.
He doesn’t want dogs digging them up and coming back for the rest of our flock.

Hello ya'll

Since I recently lost 2 of my favorite chickens for unrelated issues. It got me to thinking...what do you do with your chickens when they die? Do you bury them? Throw them in the trash? Eat them? I am curious. I have started a chicken cemetery it seems. That is definitely not my future plan. I was just curious to know what everyone does with their chickens when they die.

Thanks!
I bury mine deep in the garden so they can go on to feed the flowers, bushes or vegetables they loved to eat or scratch around. I had one that particularly loved blueberries, so I planted a blueberry Bush over her!

I have only had 3 die and we buried them. We also bury any other pets. So far we have had to bury 3 chicks, 3 dogs, a guinea pig, and a hedgehog along with a few animals of other family in our 'pet cemetery'

Hello ya'll

Thanks!

Mine are too. I ugly cry every time one dies. I hope I don't have to ugly cry again for a long time.
We have about 300 chickens, 100 pheasants, 50 quail and about 40 pigeons so it is inevitable that some of them die. We are very much into using everything. So…….We clean the birds freeze them in dated bags. Then in the winter, we keep a crock pot going to put on the dog’s food. We have GSP hunting dogs. This way we make sure the dogs stay hydrated.

We are surrounded by woods and know we have a family of raccoons and opossums that live near by. I take a bird that has died a good ways into the woods away from my house and leave them for the wildlife. I couldn’t eat them (pet factor) but I hate to see them go to waste if another animal would like them. Also I worry if I bury them in my yard will attract the wildlife to my yard to dig up. That happened with another of our pets we buried back there. We put him pretty far down with rocks on top! 😓

I don’t want them to attract predators to my living chickens, so I place them in a hearvy black plastic yard bag and take them to the dump. They’re already gone, so they don’t mind.

Hello ya'll

Thanks!
Bury them. I have a special spot for them.

Back
Top Bottom