What do you do with your dead (chickens, ducks, quail, etc...)

☠ What do you do with your dead (chickens, ducks, quail, etc...) ☠

• Send it to freezer camp?

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Send it to the lab?

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Throw them in the trash?

Votes: 60 28.6%
  • Make dog food?

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Bury them?

Votes: 115 54.8%
  • Burn them?

Votes: 26 12.4%
  • Compost them?

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • Throw them over the hedge into the neighbors yard? ☺

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Toss them in the weeds or woods?

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • No deaths yet

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Taxidermy

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Flaming Arrow at Sea

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
Pics
I'm curious what everybody does with their sick or crippled birds? There are no judgements here, so if you don't like what someone says, please keep it to yourself. I'm just wondering, if you have a bird that dies of illness, or sudden death, or an attack, or other unexpected loss, do you;

*Still send it to freezer camp?
*Send it to the lab?
*Throw them in the trash?
*Make dog food?
*Bury them?
*Burn them?
*Compost them?
*Throw them over the hedge into the neighbors yard? ;)
*Other?

I've been known to bury mine, but I'm always interested to hear what other peoples practices are. :pop
I give sickened dead feathered pets, a decent honorable bury, with tears and emotions. And do my best to save the rest!

I recently had to euthanize my 8-year-old peacock, he had cancer. :hitHe still had all of his beautiful tail feathers, so before I buried him I plucked them and gave them to a friend. She does a lot of art projects with the community and with her church, so I am happy she wanted them

I recently had to euthanize my 8-year-old peacock, he had cancer. :hitHe still had all of his beautiful tail feathers, so before I buried him I plucked them and gave them to a friend. She does a lot of art projects with the community and with her church, so I am happy she wanted them
I am sorry about your peacock. I am glad to hear you salvaged his beautiful feathers. Do you think your friend might use some of them to make something for you so you have a remembrance of your peacock?

I am sorry about your peacock. I am glad to hear you salvaged his beautiful feathers. Do you think your friend might use some of them to make something for you so you have a remembrance of your peacock?
Thanks. :hugs she is such a good friend, that is not necessary. She will probably send me pictures of they crafts they make though.

So his memory will live on in art! That's wonderful! RIP dear Peacock!

We haven't had to deal with this yet but my thoughts would be bury and/or compost pile (if the pile was deep enough to "bury" it inside so no one else got to it). We process birds but an unexpected death - I would be a softie and need to have some sort of closure. :idunno

Ps. I asked my husband the question when he got home from work and his answer? "Viking Funeral if they died a noble death for the flock" (we live in a river and this could absolutely happen ahahah)

Depends. The pet ones get buried, just dig a bit of a hole and put them in with my old horse that we euthanized last fall. The ground is still somewhat soft (and he’s a good 8’ down) so lots of space for them. So far there’s just my poor little Swedish duck and my Icelandic chick from earlier this spring in there with him. The birds that aren’t pets (ie the EE cockerel that was a thorn in my side from day 1) feed the wildlife at the back of the property.

Some critters I am much more attached to than others. Most of my losses are when they are young and there isn't as much of a relationship yet. In those cases we do a box and a dumpster funeral. For the ones we have more of a relationship with they get a box and a burial.
To be honest I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, it all depends on your personal feelings and situation. However, this post inspired me and my next lost chook might get the flaming arrow....

Back
Top Bottom