What do you do with your infertile incubated eggs??

Quote:
I really can't see there being any kind of risk. My dog has eaten a 4 month old unhatched egg that was thrown down the hill by my fiance. He didn't quite make the swamp and come spring the dog found it. We were already going to the vet for his shots coincedentally and he threw it all up right as we pulled in. The stink was awful! OMG. I asked the vet because I was all worried (bacteria! eew!) and he said no he'll be fine and I did ask if he hadn't thrown it up what would have happened and he said "he's a dog, they are built to eat rotten things". That was out of my vets mouth so I will take his word for it. Not that I ever want a repeat of that episode!
sickbyc.gif
Dogs are scavengers naturally. I think we forget that sometimes.

This thread was about "what you do with your eggs", there is no need to be rude.

Quote:
Oh yes, all eggs must be kept far away from my inside dog!! He has a very good nose for it. I think I one upped you with my above story though. I guess this is one of the many reasons I prefer cats! I love my dog but my cat might eat a bug if she's feeling frisky, not much to worry about there lol.

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I will definitely take all the quitters out then. I didn't realize blood rings were caused by bacteria, never put much thought into where they came from. Now I know.
smile.png

Have you ever watched a dog? Gee, we don't really even want to talk about the stuff they eat, lick, mouth, etc. Let the dogs have them. I usually give mine a good long toss into the hay fields. The dogs have a little treasure hunt finding them and taking them out of there.

I've not heard of a dog getting sick from eating eggs, and I know of people who have fed their bad incubated eggs to their dogs for years. Sure. It sounds gross and we don't like to think about it.

As long as it isn't antifreeze or chocolate. Dogs are more apt to get sick from man made chemicals than incubated chicken eggs.

Last edited:
Quote:
Agreed! Look a few posts up for my post about my dog eating the 4 month old unhatched egg. I will never be able to forget the smell of it when he yakked it up. Best thing is I'm fairly sure the only reason he puked is because of the car ride, not the egg!!

I have no problem giving the dogs the infertiles, that is for sure. I haven't in the past because most of my culled eggs have embryos or chicks in them and I just have too much of an ICK factor with that.

I didn't mean to be rude. I just try to avoid getting sick and err on the side of safe over save and I grew up with a father who was always pushing it with exp dates and eating old crap and he got real sick one time and almost died, so it always ticked me off that he never learned from it and kept trying to make me always drink soured milk and stuff that was old, lol. Anyway, I do agree that dogs can and do eat anything and I have watched them eat fresh turds falling from horses and cows before they even hit the ground or on many different occasions, as well as, what people or other dogs have puked up.

I also had a buddy eat a "Big Mac" that I had stuck in his locker at work to make it stink because he was on vacation for a week. Well he thought some secret female admirer was being nice and left it for him that day. He put that old thing in the microwave and ate it with no problems. Never thought of it until now, but maybe he's part dog
smile.png

i pick a spot outside near the woods dig a DEEP hole and drop them in and cover them up but i think im going to have to start sprinkling something on top of the eggs something has been digging them up cause i see egg shells all near the holes where i have them buried and its making me mad

Back
Top Bottom