What do you do with your long hair?

My hair is almost mid back length. Most of the time it is just down. I put it in a ponytail when I want it out of the way. I also sometimes twist it up and stuff it under my baseball cap! When I am at work, it is in a ponytail and I wear a visor, hair restraint is required at my job. If it gets too much longer, then it really gets in my way. It can wrap around my neck at night, or when I am driving it is behind my back and I'm leaning on it and I can't turn my head or it pulls my hair. Once it was so long I was afraid of it getting into the toilet water whenever I was cleaning the bathroom so I had to make sure the lid was always shut. lol I have had it cut to above shoulder length, and it does look nice, but I don't like to continually go for haircuts, so I just let it be. When my sister was in beauty college is when I had the most things done to my hair. Never dyed it though! Once she permed it, my hair is extremely straight, took perming twice before it would hold! And my mom did not know who I was when I first walked into the room. She wondered, who is this stranger sitting on the bed next to me. hee hee

I had long hair (mid or lower back length) through my early 20s, always in a braid on the farm, down when I went out. I cut it to shoulder length then and was thrilled. It still had enough length to attract my husband. He's said he'd like longer hair on me but would prefer me happy and comfortable. His hairline started moving back after we met, so now we both have less hair and we both cut each other's hair! He has what I think is a very nice shaped head for a buzz cut, so that's easy, and he's figured out how to do a simple cut on my hair so he has all the control over how short it goes. Perfect! Anyway, if he can still find me attractive after a long weekend of being up to our elbows in feathers and chicken innards (processing birds), I don't think a little thing like shorter hair is going to drive him away!

I LOVE LONG HAIR- MEN'S AND WOMEN'S!! My hair was usually grown down to the middle of my back. For work it needs to be kept up and neat. I used to get it cut once a year, because of split ends. I do not like my hair short, as you can't play with it like you can when it's long, so last year I had decided to let it grow past my knees just to see if I could. Right now my hair is down to the middle of my back and I'm not cutting it for no one!

I am kinda jealous of all who have xtremely long hair, tho, I do understand the personal negativity that comes with having long hair.

I just think long hair is xtremely beautiful!!

My hair is pretty long and thick... It comes down to the last rib in my ribcage (couldn't figure out how else to describe that!) Because I am African-American, I have a few more options available to me than just the usual bun or ponytail. I have a daughter who is especially good at cornrow braiding. I'm just not good at sitting still for that long!

Like everyone else has mentioned, long hair is a lot of work! Added to the usual amount of long hair work, I also have to relax it with a chemical relaxer, in order for it to (ocassionally) behave. Years ago, when my hair wasn't quite so long, I had layers which required at least 30 minutes of curling with a curling iron everyday. The layers did make the hair cooperate better, though.

Now, I pull my hair up into a pony tail on top of my head and wrap it into a bun. I then decide what hairstyle I want to wear for the day and select (from about 25) a hairpiece that is designed to go over a ponytail or bun. They come in a lot of styles (curly, straight, kinky, long, short, etc) They are very easy to put on and a drawstring secures it around my bun.

I like the fact that I can have my hair done in less than 5 minutes and I don't have to listen to my husband complain about me thinking about cutting my hair. The truth is that if I were to cut my hair, I really don't even have an inkling as to what kind of style that I would want. With the hairpieces, I don't have to commit to an actual style. I can try it on for the day and wash it in the bathroom sink, as needed.

I also don't have to be at the whim of the weather conditions. I don't even use an umbrella any more. They are not just made for black hair... I get mine from the local beauty supply. Here is a link to an example of what I am talking about. This company can be a bit more pricey, than what I am used to paying, though.

http://especiallyyours.com/dept.asp?cid=1&did=155&pg=2&sort=1&attrid=&mscssid=&adsrc=

Wow, you guys are great! I went to bed and there was just one page ...now there's FIVE!!
big_smile.png

As for migraines and hair.. I've suffered migraines for most of my life ..with or without hair! I honestly don't believe there's a big contributing factor for me, personally. The "throw up" headaches started as early as 3 years old, and no doctor has found the reason. CT Scans, blood work, sleep tests, fasts, herbs, prophylactics ..nothing! The best I can do is take my epilepsy meds (I'm not epileptic, btw) and other preventatives ...and HOPE that it's a mild one, on any given day. They have been chronic ...clusters, transitionals, and so on ..since my 20's ...and my hair was only about an inch long throughout my early 20's to mid 30's. (I prefer short-short hair ...but DH says I look like a "boy" ..and prefers it long *sigh* )

Anyhoo... reading all of the replies, a few of you nailed it right on the head (haha) ...it's hot, it's heavy... it's a nuisance when you are trying to clean certain things ...and I get so perturbed when I sit on my own hair and pull or yank my head!

And I'm tender-headed, to top it all off!!
hmm.png

Katy, your hair is GORGEOUS!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
gig.gif
So the other day I was out putting fly stuff on my horse's legs, bent over my pony tail flopped over my head - hanging kinda in front of me.
Well the stupid very goat thought it looked SO COOL!
He BIT IT, and PULLED - its funny NOW, but heck! Having my hair pulled by a goat!!!!! (AND to crown it ALL off, he'd just eaten his dinner, which included a scoop of garlic!
th.gif

I had sort of long hair but I just cut it.
tongue.png
But there a 4-H friend of mine's mom has REALLY long hair. She always has it in a long braid. The braid goes down past her knees, so I can't even imagine how it looks down!! It looks really nice on her and keeps it out of her way.
Ashlyn

I twist mine up in a pencil (or chopstick or fork or whatever's handy). Mine's only to my mid-back, though- but very thick. Yours might be too long.

I'm growing it down to my butt, cutting it really short (like 2 inches) and donating it to Locks for Love. I love my hair... but what a PAIN!

ETA: I had my hair cut that short about 2-3 years ago and haven't cut it since, except for layers. My har is so thick most claw thingys won't wok for me. They have to be huge. Unfortunatly, my hair gets snarled REALLY easily, despite 100 brush strokes in the morning and 100 at night. I've tried braiding and I have yet to get the hang of doing it myself. Usually it looks like one link, then a big long ponytail. Pretty, but impractical. Then again, hair itself is rather inpractical (unless you use it a a rope to rescue someone... hmmm... can just see the newspaper title: 'Young Girl Saves Drowning Man: "I Thank My Hair"')

Last edited by a moderator:
mine stops growing at my waist. I keep i braided most of the time. If dh and I are going out (without children), then I will fix it up. Otherwise, it's in a single braid down my back.

Back
Top Bottom