WHAT DO YOU DO WITH YOUR OLD HENS?

I agree with those that say there really is no right or wrong answer.

When we first got into chickens we decided to go with dual purpose breeds because it makes sense to cull and eat at the end of the egg laying cycle or when they have reached a time in their life age/injury etc. Our oldest hens are now 1 year and 8months old, so not very old. I have 1 BR hen that laid ENORMOUS eggs for a few months and then the eggs only came periodically then she laid shell-less eggs and now hasn't laid eggs in a few months. She is healthy as are her flock mates her system just isn't great for egg making. I have been contemplating culling her from the flock to make space for a new comer but I cant decide how I want to go about all of my beloved flock members as they age.

I do cull roosters and raise CX meat chickens also raise turkeys for the freezer so I have no problem culling. I just feel torn because she is from my first chickens I ever got and she has a name, Bliss. I have thought about building one(and only one I swear lol) retirement coops for our most favorite and beloved non egg layers to join for the remainder of their lives if DH agrees. We have 3 DDs who have their favorite chickens and no way can I say "oh DD by the way Ocean is dinner tonight"
hit.gif

The first flock I had I thought I'd be able to eat when they were done. Boy, was I wrong! There is absolutely NO MEAT on a red star! Now I'm stuck with 2 old hags (they've mellowed a bit towards the newbies but are still mean sometimes) that I can't eat nor give away! (I have an ad up but no takers!) Contemplating "knocking them off" and leaving them in the woods for the coons/foxes/coyotes/mink. Their sister, also a bit mean, is at least laying still. She's also quirky; always INSISTS on coming in the house to clean my kitchen floor and refuses to lay in the coop but rather makes me hunt through the brush for her eggs :barnie Even hubby says she's too cool and has to stick around :p As for the rest, the idea behind getting chickens in the first place was for eggs and chicken dinners. I've since (the red star lesson in breeds NOT to buy) invested in a larger heritage breed and already one of the boys is the size of a small turkey! :D

Holy thread resurrection!

Well, I just found this nearly year-old thread and it's made me feel much better about making a personal choice about my older hens. Thanks to BYC for the opportunity to express ourselves and all the group for giving their honest feelings on the matter. It really helps put things in perspective. Here's my newer thread with basically the same question. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...lity-what-to-do-with-older-hens#post_13728950

Back
Top Bottom