WHAT DO YOU DO WITH YOUR OLD HENS?

treetrunks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
What do you do with your old
old.gif
old birds that are not laying any eggs.? Do you cull them? rehome them, turn them into a curry or let them live out their lives on your property?
I keep mine. unless they are a problem bird, and thats if they are a problem at any age, they have to be extremely dastardly to get the chop, for example one of my hens scalped her chicks,, they were all feathered up and she tried to kill them, it was a horrid sight.
sickbyc.gif
I saved one and she was able to make complete recovery.
Mummy lost her head.
I don't eat mine because I am a vegetarian
D.gif

my kids don't eat them because they are chickens
love.gif

I don't like the idea that they should go off somewhere to be someones lunch.
pop.gif

Mine retire and live out their lives with me, they have earned their retirement.
And if you name it you cant eat it unless you name it after a priminister or an MP
hide.gif
maybe I shouldn't say that, eeeeek.

I get very attached to them,
I love my birds
jumpy.gif
wee.gif

Hehe, well I am going to chime in here and say that my chickens are very spoiled with lots of space, both to lounge and to free range, lots of good food, a nice coop, and tons of treats! This is my first batch of chickens, and their purpose is for eggs and my amusement. I am not against culling and eating, and if either of the roosters acts up too much, that will be my remedy. As to the hens, we shall see. If for some reason I need to cull them young, I will do so and eat them. If they live for years, provide me with hours of amusement and hundreds of eggs, then I would certainly entertain the idea of letting them live out their lives in retirement.

Yes I used to eat mine, but life has changed my thinking and as long as we have no nasty behaviour we should all keep our heads. I love to watch them, they are so cool

I like chicks, I like young birds and I like eggs. If one keeps adding chicks each year, you either have to add more space or less older chickens. If you raise your own, you get extra roos. Truth of the matter, I like having a flock of chickens, I like watching them grow up, I like being around them. But it is not so much an individual bird. Anymore than an individual bird likes me. They like anyone bringing the feed.

Now my chickens live in tough country, and I think it ages them, cause in 8 years of raising chickens, I have not had one live more than 3 years old. So not a real problem but I do cull some. They are after all, chickens.

Mrs K

I have 3 older hens that are no longer laying and my husband wants to cull them. They don't have names so I agreed. My younger ones all have names so I'm not sure I could eat them! We've never culled one before so I'm not really sure if I can handle it. We have 10 hens and will probably add a few when and if these go.

The whole naming chickens thing has really, really intrigued me. I heard from the beginning, as I am sure many of you did, that you shouldn't name them if you have to cull them later. Now, I can certainly understand the basic logic, that it adds a personality to them and therefore makes them a member of the family and harder to kill. However, I don't fully buy into it. I know all of my girls, and though they don't have names, I know the individuals by looking at them. I know their personalities and physical traits. Would adding a name change it all that much??

Anyway, sorry if this is a little off topic, but how much of a difference is there between old hens, and old hens with names?

Hubby and i have decided that if they are old and not laying, and arent broody, they will get six months retirement before they go into the freezer.

If they are mean, they go sooner.

And all of mine are named. :)

ITS THE CIIIIIRRCLE OF LIIIIIFE....AND IT MOVES US AAAALLLL....

Mine get to live out their lives for as long as they want to stick around. My oldest hen is going on 13, and she's still kicking! My chickens are pets, so when they finally die, they go in a hole in the ground next to all our previous lost loved ones.

I haven't had to cull any yet, but I will. I have my birds for eggs and meat. I think they have the best life a chicken could have. they have a supremely safe coop at night and are free to roam all day. that's the way I like it. one of the ones I will be culling is a girl I've had from the beginning. she causes so much chaos in the coop at night that everyone has a hard time settling down because of her.
I will make sure she has the least amount of fear possible and no pain when the time comes.

I could NEVER kill my chickens. I could care less about the eggs. My chickens are just pets. I don't even like eggs. I am a vegetarian (trying to become a vegan). I use apple sauce instead of eggs in baking. I just sell my eggs to my friends and family. My chickens are 100% Pets/family members. I keep them when their old. I love how u say they retire treetrunks (lol). the next time I get more chickens I may get spent hens. I love my chickies!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom