What do YOU do with...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Momma_Cluck, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    All your extra eggs!?

We got into this (raising chickens) originally for Our DD to go into 4-H, and are now "Chicken Junkies"...
    Started with 12 Banties, now have 37 Chcikens, and more hatching...Plus plan to grow "Meaties" in spring.

We thought to sell eggs spring/summer/fall to pay for all their feed, and the rest of the eggs for our use and family...

But they were SUPPOSED to "slow down" production in winter! Yes?

We average 18 eggs a day...and today I brought in 28!!!

I can't GIVE them away fast enough! We have ONE neighbor-- all our family is out of town... we give them a couple dozen whenever we see them.

We WANTED to donate them to the Shelter or Soup Kitchen, but they can't accept them!!!

There isn't anywhere to sell them.... so now what?

We hollow-out the Banty eggs to use the shells for crafts-- and the dogs eat those...

Any creative Ideas????

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    We sell most of ours, but we trade with some neighbours for straw, meat etc. I also use them as "thank-yous" for any favours and of course we eat A LOT of eggs! [​IMG]

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    feed them back to the chickens.

advertise them on your local Craigslist

stop by a local school and leave them with the front office so staff can have some.

give to school bus driver, mailman etc

4. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    throw them at that nosy neighbor youve always wanted to beat up?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I sell my extras to neighbors and guys my SO works with. We put a sign up on the bulletin board at his workplace.
    I give the librarian in our small town a dozen here and there because she saves egg cartons for me.
    If I still have leftover eggs I scramble them and feed em to the critters.

6. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    I am glad I only have 5 hens. When my daughter eats scrambles eggs, she eats five at a time. That controls the excess eggs around here.

7. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Make quiche! You can make it with a variety of things; mayo, milk, cheese, crab, faux crab, spinach, chicken, etc.,

Someone on one of my forums actually dries eggs in her dehydrator and uses it to bake with later. There are other ways of preserving them.

8. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I give my neighbor about 2 dozen every week. She is retired and her son lost his job he moved back in and he has custody of his 2 kids, so it helps her a bit.
    I also use a dozen every few days, I make a cooked mixture for my Phoenix that they eat every few days.

9. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Pickle them!

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We sell some and give some away. We don't have nearly as many as you do. So I have suggestion - Look up Angels Food Ministries - they will accept donations and they are usually local and they feed the needy for EXTREMELY reduced prices.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by