What do YOU feed our chickens,

We have a mix we make.

Layer crumble
9way scratch
Small amount of shell
Dry cat food (diamond brand)

We feed the above in the morning, before the heat. Then after dinner we feed all the scraps. Also during the day I give stuff from the garden. Everything from grapes and watermelon to tomatos and greenbeans. Also ours will not eat pellets but will eat the cat food without question. They actually eat it before the corn in the 9way scratch.

wow, these are all awsome idea's for me!!!. and a nice sub for if i run out of feed and can't get to the store rite away for more feed,

I been giving them a ear of corn. and snapping it in half and it's so funny watching them all go for it.. an these tiny lil chicks try to drag it off alone!.

I'll have to put a few kernels of the cats food in there, and being my kids LOVE cherrios. i'll have to mix that in their food mix I made em. (bunch of diffy grains).

I also saw someone make their chickens oatmeal!! I'm gonna have to try that. and yourget! i'll just mix it in the oatmeal. that will be intresting!!!

The chicks free-feed on pellets and whatever plants and bugs they find in the yard. At four in the afternoon they get a snack of whatever the kitchen scraps for the day are. They like most vegetables, cantaloupe pulp & seeds, pancakes and corn tortillas. We also toss in dandelions and whatever else we've pulled. At bedtime they get scratch to reinforce their good habit of going in early. I watch their poops. If they are runny, I cut back on the vegetables for a couple of days.

today I tryed the "treat" and Instead of throwing out the apple peel from my daughter's apple slices.. I put them in a bowl, then what scraps of mac n cheese were left on the kids plate when in. then I decided to just toss in some cherrio's for the heck of it.. and wow!!! was so funny seeing momma run to the bowl.. inspect what I had.. and call the "kids" to come chow... she picked out the mac n cheese and dropped it on the ground for the chicks.. and they all carry off a noodle, to cute. seeing a chick in the corner pecking at a noodle.. one in the other corner pecking at a cherrio.
I put a cherry tomato in there and she picked it out n toss it to the side.. I dont think Tomatoe's are gonna be a winner LMAO

I feed em romane lettuce, watermellon (Their favorite!!),
lol.png
spinach (tho if its too stemmy, i pick the longer stems off) corn off the cob, and tomorrow im going to give them their first tomatoes, well see how that goes
smile.png

Quote:
they love cheerios, so cute
smile.png
they could be in a commercial! lol, and corn flakes, which I find funny, considering there is a chicken for a mascot
smile.png

I only have 4 chickens so I pick and choose our scraps between them and the compost pile. I don't them to have an unbalanced diet. The chickens love to pick the leftover corn of your the corn on the cob, fruit, yogurt, bread ends. They love rice but I'm sure it's probably not that nutritious, so I just scrape whats left on our plates for them. They'll even eat the veggies from a spicy curry sauce. If you make cheese, or yogurt and drain off whey, give it to the chickens. It's full of protein and they love to drink it. Other than that, I give my chickens a daily measure of weeds pulled from the garden for greens, and if I'm feeling generous, maybe some kale or lettuce that's gone to seed.

My hens are picky eaters.

My RIR used to eat the worms when I turned my compost, but no longer. My other two hens don't eat worms. They like eating spring tails.

I also give them kitchen vegetable scraps. They like corn on the cob, but don't like cabbage.

I feed them organic layer pellets (types: non-soy and soy based).

Back
Top Bottom