What do you feed your layers?

except for when I transition chicks from starter/grower to flock maker. Then I mix them and slowly change the mixture from mostly one to the other.
I guess it does not matter much, as chickens don't gobble up tons of food at a time.
Good point.

I think I did it the first time I had chicks because that's what I thought "you were supposed to do." The second time, the flock maker had noticeably larger pieces, so that's why I did it.

The flock maker I have now is a small enough crumble that I don't think it'll make a difference with the next batch. (109 days! :))

Hi, y'all. Curious about people's honest experiences with feed, and/or experiences with changing feeds.

I was using a much more expensive Grubbly Farms feed to raise our chicks and grow as they came into lay. However we also added ducks, which we put on the NatureWise All Flock, readily available from TSC. We tried another locally available cheap grower + oyster shells while the last few birds came into lay, and we have since switched them all over to the all flock. [+ oyster shells or lightly toasted eggshells on the side.]

So far, we've had a lot of success! I'm not sure if their feathers appear quite as shiny on this feed vs. the Grubbly Farms, but the birds are all still totally soft, fluffy, healthy, and laying. So as much as I love the other feed, for my needs, at this time I just couldn't justify the pricetag.

Our Australorps came into lay mid-late September, (that I know of. I had to keep them in the coop a few days because I suspected someone might be laying in the yard, and got the first egg 9/20). The Welsummers took about six weeks longer and we got our first speckled and terra cotta eggs starting 11/21.

We have had no problems with them laying over the winter, either. I may not get many on days I need to keep them confined, but they always make up for it the next day. One day, we even got an egg from literally every single chicken in our flock!!!

So that's all; interested to hear how it's been going for others on their respective feeds, if you've had any reason to switch, and how that went as well.
I use nutrena naturewise all flock 20% , mine free range completely, we keep 2 pans of food out all the time. I toast egg shells , keep oyster shell, chick grit and regular grit available, especially with all the rain making it harder to get natural grit. I mix producers pride peckables, flock party meal worms and total care nut&fruit /song bird blend..i throw 1-2 handfuls when i let the youngsters out and right before roost time.. there are 8+6+6 biddies+7 total right now..

That's great! Yeah I think you're right that the calcium in the oyster shells is the main thing they would not be getting in the starter, and the 20% protein is better for them. I think that's why a lot of people use a 20% all flock. But I'm not sure if there any other reason nutritionally not to keep feeding the chick starter. 🤷 @U_Stormcrow
After work, I'll come back to this - but the quick answer is that "starter" is often medicated, usually amprolium here in the US. And while there is no withdrawal period for amprolium (so you can eat eggs from chickens consuming it with their feed - and likely have if you have been eating supermarket eggs for decades), its generally unnecessary.

Longer post later. Mostly on "branding"/market segment differentiation.

I feed Kalmbach's Non-GMO feed.

Most of the year I feed a blend of there 17% Non-GMO layer and there 28% Non-GMO start right turkey and gamebird at the rate of 75% layer to 25% gamebird.
That mix will get me a little over 19% feed.
In the winter months, I bump the gamebird some to increase the protein putting my feed a little over 20%.

I also offer a calcium supplement on the side.

Last edited:
Ok my girls are only 16 weeks old so I still have them on start/grow. I’m picking up a bag of Nutrena tomorrow, but I’m seeing a lot of ppl say they use all flock or flock raiser instead of layer mix. Can someone please explain the differences and pros and cons? Feed store I’m going to is 40mins away so I want to know what to get ahead of time. They carry all versions of Nutrena plus a couple other brands.
We have ducks as well as chickens, so people with roosters or other types of birds will use all flock and offer calcium in the side for the layers. Many people prefer higher protein; some say it's not all that necessary. It comes down to a personal choice weighing different factors that might be important TO YOU (See stormcrow's post above). For me, availability is a big one. It could be the "best" food in the world, at an awesome price point, but if I can't readily get my hands on it then well, it doesn't do me much good lol

Ok my girls are only 16 weeks old so I still have them on start/grow. I’m picking up a bag of Nutrena tomorrow, but I’m seeing a lot of ppl say they use all flock or flock raiser instead of layer mix. Can someone please explain the differences and pros and cons? Feed store I’m going to is 40mins away so I want to know what to get ahead of time. They carry all versions of Nutrena plus a couple other brands.
The biggest difference is the amount of calcium in layer. I am of the thought that even layers don't need all that calcium all the time (injury/illness, molt, slow winter production, breed is an infrequent layer, etc). I use flock raiser crumbles with oyster shell on the side and let them self regulate the calcium intake. I like crumbles because all life stages can eat it.

Look at U_Stormcrow's posts about feed and you will be able to pick the best feed for your situation.

He made an obvious typo, flipping his ingredients ratio, and later fumbled a bit of mental arithmatic. Let it go. Anyone remember the original (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka? "Strike that, reverse it!"

Its not like he proudly posted some home made chicken feed based on BOSS and oats, then proudly proclaimed it over 20% protein. That, in my opinion (which you can certainly disregard) is when you throw darts. and if darts don't work, throw axes. ;)

Back
Top Bottom