What do you feed your layers?

Pics

Chipmunk Chicks

Free Ranging
May 24, 2022
New Jersey, USA
Hi, y'all. Curious about people's honest experiences with feed, and/or experiences with changing feeds.

I was using a much more expensive Grubbly Farms feed to raise our chicks and grow as they came into lay. However we also added ducks, which we put on the NatureWise All Flock, readily available from TSC. We tried another locally available cheap grower + oyster shells while the last few birds came into lay, and we have since switched them all over to the all flock. [+ oyster shells or lightly toasted eggshells on the side.]

So far, we've had a lot of success! I'm not sure if their feathers appear quite as shiny on this feed vs. the Grubbly Farms, but the birds are all still totally soft, fluffy, healthy, and laying. So as much as I love the other feed, for my needs, at this time I just couldn't justify the pricetag.

Our Australorps came into lay mid-late September, (that I know of. I had to keep them in the coop a few days because I suspected someone might be laying in the yard, and got the first egg 9/20). The Welsummers took about six weeks longer and we got our first speckled and terra cotta eggs starting 11/21.

We have had no problems with them laying over the winter, either. I may not get many on days I need to keep them confined, but they always make up for it the next day. One day, we even got an egg from literally every single chicken in our flock!!!

So that's all; interested to hear how it's been going for others on their respective feeds, if you've had any reason to switch, and how that went as well.

Last edited:
I have 6 hens and a rooster. I feed them all Kalmbach Flock Maker 20%, and have for about a year now. They have grit, oyster shell, and crushed egg shell on the side.

Three hens are almost 3 years old, the other three are almost 2. Production came to a halt in October/November while they all had serious molts. One is back to laying, four others are getting close. The last hen still has a pale comb.

Our weather has been a rollercoaster. Colder and way more snow than usual in November. The Christmas blizzard in December. January has been warmer, drier, and gloomier than average. We're heading for more normal winter temps/precip in the next few days.

In other words, :confused::idunno I have birds who are past their best laying days, the weather has been wonky, and it's been dark and gloomy. Has Kalmbach "cheapened" their feed, since they haven't really raised their price commensurate with inflation? Dunno. Would I like to have 3 birds laying now, like I did this time last year? Of course.

I've been feeding Nature's Best organic, non-gmo, starter/grower 20% from arrival through laying. I have always had oyster shells in a separate dish. FWIW they are going through the oyster shells more than previous flocks, and more now than they did ever since they started laying last summer (August roughly). One bird occasionally sneezes---a sneeze doesn't make a respiratory disease by itself. I did notice that this formula has DE in the ingredient list though. There is plenty of dust, as much as with cheaper crumbles.

I've had other flocks of birds, and they've varied as to whether they go into a hard molt or more diffuse molt, even second-year, birds hatched in the fall, but my current flock is only 10 months old and doing well on this formula. In spite of their time of hatch, the EE and OE stopped for a couple months to molt literally about 10 feathers each. The legbar-based easter egger hasn't resumed laying but her comb is red.... The ameraucana based olive egger is laying again. As expected the 2 barred rocks and probable production red/sex link never missed a beat laying wise.

I've had all flock, also with good results. The brand varied, and it was a few years ago almost.

I've had numerous birds turn up their beaks at the NatureWise feather fixer FWIW.

ETA*** when I've changed formulas (organic/flock raiser to starter grower etc) i've always just switched, not mixing old with new, never had any problems with behavior, laying, stools, etc.

I feed whatever the feed store has, usually either Dumor or Nutrena all-flock with oyster on the side (I have a rooster). I'm very happy with it. Feathers look great. Everyone's happy and healthy (except for one of my oldest hens who is dealing with lameness). My production dropped for a few weeks between molt and non-stop rain for about a month. It's back up to normal now.

Before the rains turned everything to mud, they had access to forage and grazing boxes in their yard. I will replant all of that once the weather is more stable.

when I've changed formulas (organic/flock raiser to starter grower etc) i've always just switched, not mixing old with new, never had any problems with behavior, laying, stools, etc.
Same here, except for when I transition chicks from starter/grower to flock maker. Then I mix them and slowly change the mixture from mostly one to the other.

Same here, except for when I transition chicks from starter/grower to flock maker. Then I mix them and slowly change the mixture from mostly one to the other.
I guess it does not matter much, as chickens don't gobble up tons of food at a time. I did mix feed at transition time but came to realize it does not work like with other animals.

As in at the same time or those are the go tos?
All Flock is for Standard, & Bantam Coop, & Flock Raiser for the Mixed flock Coop. Mixed Flock Coop has a feeder that flows better with crumbles rather then pellets.

Back
Top Bottom