What do you feed your peafowl ??

tony garza

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Cross Plains, Tx
Just wanted to know what everyone else feeds their peafowl. When I bought my first birds, the guy I bought them from told me to feed them chicken scratch. That didn't sound right, so I'm asking - What do you feed your peafowl.

Tony Garza

Mine eat a mix of gamebird feed, chicken feed, wild bird seed and some dog food or cat food or fish chow. I have a big wide round plastic type thing my local mill sells that has a lid with bracket lock.( I think minerals come in it) i cut holes every so many inches around the sides, big enough for them to fit their heads in. If feeds a lot of them and keeps them from making a mess of the food.

Thanks for the reply. I feed mine scratch, chicken layer pellest and horse/mule sweet feed. And I add coastal burmuda hay and sometimes grass clipping.

My birds eat commercial poultry maintenance feed with scratch and wild bird seed. They love cat chow a couple of times each week (won't touch dog food or catfish food), kale, grapes and most fruits, tomatoes and fresh corn. During the winter, they will eat corn but they push it aside during the summer. During breeding season I always add oyster shell to their feed tray. And during summer they LOVE dandelions so I pick some of those, too.

Mine eat grasshoppers, crickets, june bugs, flies, grass, clover, dandelions and whatever else they can peck. They free range and go where they want. They LOVE dry dogfood nuggets when it's feeding time for the dogs. Holy cow they gobble it up! LOL

Back
Top Bottom