What do you feed yours?

Since 2000 I have fed the dogs predator raw. I have one current foster right now. When the price of chicken went up this year I switched to Taste of the Wild with an egg in the morning and with kefir and vitamin C in the evening.

The chickens get 2/3 cup whole oats, 2/3 cup whole wheat, 1/8 cup quinoa, and about 1/8 cup sunflower seeds in shell. They also forage.
I also have whole kernel corn, but they don't eat it so it sits in the garage.

Birds get Purina flock raiser crumbles. At times they'll get Nutrena naturewise all flock pellets, I just use that feed differently.

Cats get Purina cat chow naturals. One of the cats had an allergy of some sort to other feeds. She does well with this one - I don't plan on trying another (even in the Purina line).

Welcome, everyone.

I figured I’d start a new thread based on what food people feed to their flock, pet(s) and/or livestock.

What do you feed yours?
Hens: My three (very spoiled) girls get mixed layer feed+wild bird seed plus mealworms daily, and usually some wet cat food (they love the seafood flavors). Every now and then, they get salad fixins, apples, tomatoes, or other similar things that need to be used up before going bad.

Cats: Two of my three kitties are elders, so they have various canned prescription food for IBS and early kidney disease. My youngest gets whatever she'll eat, canned food-wise; we limit dry. Then, whatever the kitties leave, the chickens get, too. Works out nicely! That is, as long as I can keep the cats out of the chicken feed. Yes! I've caught them trying to eat it! Maybe they're tired of seeing their food go to those darned chickens...

We spoil our chickens. They have constant access to commercial feed and fresh water. In addition, each day they get fresh tomatoes, raw oats, and canned corn or beans, mixed with occasional fresh pea shoots or mung beans and an occasional treat of either canned tuna in water or shredded cat food for extra protein especially when they are molting.

My 38 Speckled Sussex are free-range and in the mornings they get Alabama Feed Cooperative Egg Layer Crumble. For treats they get dry cat food kibble or stale bread.
The 22 Mammoth Jackstock Jenny Donkeys get no grain. They are pasture grazed and have free access to protein mineral tubs. As for treats, the Donkeys love Peanut Butter flavor dog biscuits, Orange peels, Banana peels and leftover fast-food French Fries. One of the Donkeys, Kelly, knows how to open the pasture gates if I forget to double lock them. That is when the treats come in handy! Once I give one of the girl's a treat they all want some, and will follow me back to their pasture.

My 38 Speckled Sussex are free-range and in the mornings they get Alabama Feed Cooperative Egg Layer Crumble. For treats they get dry cat food kibble or stale bread.
The 22 Mammoth Jackstock Jenny Donkeys get no grain. They are pasture grazed and have free access to protein mineral tubs. As for treats, the Donkeys love Peanut Butter flavor dog biscuits, Orange peels, Banana peels and leftover fast-food French Fries. One of the Donkeys, Kelly, knows how to open the pasture gates if I forget to double lock them. That is when the treats come in handy! Once I give one of the girl's a treat they all want some, and will follow me back to their pasture.
Would love to see pictures of your donkey herd ( is a group of donkeys called a herd?)
We have 2 one was gelded before we got them, the other is afraid of getting harnessed in case the same thing happens to him.

Would love to see pictures of your donkey herd ( is a group of donkeys called a herd?)
We have 2 one was gelded before we got them, the other is afraid of getting harnessed in case the same thing happens to him.
The donkeys are all "pasture pets". I have attached a photo of 4 of the girls. My husband is 6' tall, he always feeds snacks from behind a gate. He has had both his knees replaced and he doesn't feel like getting knocked down.
IMG_20201005_111145.jpg
20230624_174150.jpg

The donkeys are all "pasture pets". I have attached a photo of 4 of the girls. My husband is 6' tall, he always feeds snacks from behind a gate. He has had both his knees replaced and he doesn't feel like getting knocked down. View attachment 3669496View attachment 3669508
Do you need to get their hooves trimmed? Or do you do it yourselves?
Ours need their hooves done but no Farrier can get ahold of them as we can’t get a harness on them for control.
We’ve had them break through the fencing on chicken coop, they snuck in to eat the chicken feed, just because I had a rope in my hand. After I put the rope down they walked right up to me.

Back
Top Bottom