What do you feed yours?

On donkey hoof trimming question;
We put uneven rocks in the runway between fields and their hooves chip off naturally. If to much chips off they may limp for a few days, they'll be OK. Put gates up to form a runway for them to get to their water trough. Put uneven rocks in your trough runway so they have to walk on them to get water. You could go to a concrete company and ask for broken cement blocks, they usually will give them to you. Break them into good sized chunks, don't make it smooth to walk on.

On donkey hoof trimming question;
We put uneven rocks in the runway between fields and their hooves chip off naturally. If to much chips off they may limp for a few days, they'll be OK. Put gates up to form a runway for them to get to their water trough. Put uneven rocks in your trough runway so they have to walk on them to get water. You could go to a concrete company and ask for broken cement blocks, they usually will give them to you. Break them into good sized chunks, don't make it smooth to walk on.
Thank you, I’ll check into doing that.

Thank you, I’ll check into doing that.
You mentioned that your Donkeys may not come to you when you are carrying a rope or lead. I had a Appaloosa like that. To remedy the situation when I went out in the field to collect him I would put the lead with his halter around my wast and a treat in my hand. All he saw was the treat, I would give him the treat as I put the halter and lead on him.

The people that know what I feed my animals say they(animals) eat better than most people 😜 and it's true. We live in a very resource rich environment, and we subsistence hunt, fish, forage and garden for ourselves and our animals. About 5-10 hours a week for food harvesting.

Example: Dogs breakfast - scrambled eggs with halibut, oregano, parsley and ground eggshells, shrimp sauteed in ghee, sprouted buckwheat and wild blueberry pancakes, topped with kefir cheese and banana.
IMG_20230925_101534_1.jpg

Our poultry feed is also homemade however it is made in large batches and is a combination of dried, dehydrated and freeze dried. Ingredients for current batches are: herring, herring eggs, amphipods(like tiny shrimp), Pacific krill, shrimp eggs, kelp (brown, red and green varieties), sea lettuce, sea plantain, plantain, dock, sedge, willow leaves, fireweed flowers and leaves (excellent source of calcium), yarrow, clover, dandelion, daisy, peppermint, Siberian miners lettuce, spruce tips, marigolds, rose hips, wild berries and leaves (blueberry, salmonberry, raspberry, cloudberry, lingonberry, highbush cranberry) mushrooms (chanterelle and portabella- sliced and left in the sun for a few hours to greatly increase vitamin D content before freeze drying), organic vegetables(carrots with greens, flat leaf parsley, green beans, numerous varieties of squash with seeds, cucumber and seeds, peppers with seeds, cabbage, broccoli, radish, cauliflower, beets, kale, chard - greens soaked in water for 12 hours to leach/reduce oxalic acid, organic fruits - tomato, apple, banana, melons and seeds, dried kefir cheese, organic hulless oats, organic chia seeds, organic buckwheat (sprouted)
IMG_20231031_100626_5~2.jpg

My girls get free range to a farmers mix it’s all through out the coop.
All flock pellets all day access
At night I mash up the pellets with water…this is there favorite
Grit
Oyster shells
Scrap
Cabbage for pecking
Pecking block
Grain
Sunflower seeds mainly in the winter time (ny).

Soon I’ll have my own meal worm farm that just drops the worms to the girls…gotta figure h that one out

Cows grain and hay

Dogs diamonds naturals lamb

The people that know what I feed my animals say they(animals) eat better than most people 😜 and it's true. We live in a very resource rich environment, and we subsistence hunt, fish, forage and garden for ourselves and our animals. About 5-10 hours a week for food harvesting.

Example: Dogs breakfast - scrambled eggs with halibut, oregano, parsley and ground eggshells, shrimp sauteed in ghee, sprouted buckwheat and wild blueberry pancakes, topped with kefir cheese and banana.
View attachment 3674888
Our poultry feed is also homemade however it is made in large batches and is a combination of dried, dehydrated and freeze dried. Ingredients for current batches are: herring, herring eggs, amphipods(like tiny shrimp), Pacific krill, shrimp eggs, kelp (brown, red and green varieties), sea lettuce, sea plantain, plantain, dock, sedge, willow leaves, fireweed flowers and leaves (excellent source of calcium), yarrow, clover, dandelion, daisy, peppermint, Siberian miners lettuce, spruce tips, marigolds, rose hips, wild berries and leaves (blueberry, salmonberry, raspberry, cloudberry, lingonberry, highbush cranberry) mushrooms (chanterelle and portabella- sliced and left in the sun for a few hours to greatly increase vitamin D content before freeze drying), organic vegetables(carrots with greens, flat leaf parsley, green beans, numerous varieties of squash with seeds, cucumber and seeds, peppers with seeds, cabbage, broccoli, radish, cauliflower, beets, kale, chard - greens soaked in water for 12 hours to leach/reduce oxalic acid, organic fruits - tomato, apple, banana, melons and seeds, dried kefir cheese, organic hulless oats, organic chia seeds, organic buckwheat (sprouted)
View attachment 3674889
Wow! I love the variety 🤩

Thank you for sharing!

View attachment 3674888
View attachment 3674889
This made me smile :) they must be happy chickens, I’ve been making my own quail food and there’s no way on earth I’d consider feeding them commercial pellets after tasting the eggs.
Great tip about sun drying the portobello for vit d, do you know if it affects the Agaritine?

This made me smile :) they must be happy chickens, I’ve been making my own quail food and there’s no way on earth I’d consider feeding them commercial pellets after tasting the eggs.
Great tip about sun drying the portobello for vit d, do you know if it affects the Agaritine?
Agree, I'll never feed my animals commercial food, i.e. waste products. Yes, if you're concerned about agaritine (I'm not) the agaritine content drops significantly. Read here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27323764/

Back
Top Bottom