What do you feed?

diamondsilkies

Songster
Oct 23, 2017
Southern Arizona
Our chickens are fed a very simple diet of layer pellets or grower crumble (depending on age), with meal worms and vegetable scraps as treats. They have calcium and grit supplied to them if they need it, and get lots of insects from our compost pile. They seem happy on this diet, as far as I can tell.

However, recently I have been looking into chicken nutrition (something I haven't done in a while) and thought that maybe they could use a little something else? I'm really looking for things that can help keep their immune systems up and their feathers healthy, but really any feeding tips would be greatly appreciated. Just want to make sure they're getting what they need to. I have a mix of bantams and standard sizes, although my seramas are in their own coop.

Also, quick side question: I heard that putting garlic in their water is good for them. I have an automatic waterer (The Chicken Fountain, I believe it's called) and was wondering if this would still work? If so, how much garlic are we talking?

Thank you!

Looks to me as ,,,,,,,you have a good balanced nutrition program.:thumbsup
I feed my chickens Alflock. It has 2% calcium. 18% Protein. Reason; I have layers and non layers. I supplement calcium with Crushed Oyster Shells free-choice. Also give a good helping of wild bird seeds or scratch. Yes,,,,,, I do break the 10% rule,, :gig
All my chickens live LONG LIVES. I only keep as pets.
I do eat the eggs.:drool
I only give my chickens clean fresh water with no additives. Have done so for over 20 years. I know some peeps do add electrolytes, and ACV.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Sounds like you got it down. I think what's most important is keeping your water supply clean. Keep an eye on the automatic waterers not sure how some do it by just adding water. Also clean food watch out for mold growth due to humidity/moisture. Like I said looks like you got it down !!!:highfive:

Back
Top Bottom