What do you gather eggs in?! Pics?

I use a wire chicken egg basket (sorry no photo) I tried the egg in the pocket until I forgot they were there and bent down, my wife makes sure I take the egg basket when I go collect eggs.

That's very true what Bruce says, it's usually that simple. But what about those evenings when you want to go out to a friend's house for a nice dinner and so you have to shut up the barn early and you're running around in heels and a fancy dress trying to chook chook chook everybody into their coop and its a beautiful summer evening and they refuse to go and when you finally get them in that's when you notice the five gallon waterer is empty and as you refill it at the hydrant the pretty dress gets soaked! There will be days like that too.
my neighbors are used to seeing me in my (what is now just for the garden) bright pink dressing gown and pjs underneath when I go down to let the girls out and get the eggs in the morning. I have quite often gone down on the evening in a posh evening dress and wellies (once even with my rollers in!) The girls deffo no when im in a rush and dawdle for ages, im no goo at forward planning these things so as usual il be late!
If i forget my egg basket i carry them in my had, this usually ends up with egg on the floor....

ETA: Thought I'd never do the pocket thing but I do, barn coat or hoodie, especially in winter when I gather every few hours due to freezing temps. Haven't broken one...yet. When it's warm out tho, I gather once a day when I lock up at dusk and usually use a basket. I bought a nifty wire basket because I wanted one...not usually into cute stuff, but this is practical too ;-) But... I've found the wide bottom allows the eggs to roll around unless there's quite a few, and I think that's why the TSC wire baskets are narrow at the bottom. I use this hand woven basket my sister made years ago to carry up to 4 cartons if I deliver.
Beautiful baskets, especially the one your sister made.

It was just sitting around the kitchen most of the time anyway and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom