What do you grow to feed the chickens??

From what I know, chickens eat an unbelievable amount of food, they would eat your garden weeds, tomatoes, garlic, they eat corn, chicken feed, worms, beetles, and anything they find, or anything you feed them, that includes your leftover food such as potatoes, chicken, and rice. Ask me, my chickens LOVE to eat chicken, as long as it has been cooked.
yippiechickie.gif

lol for a moment visions of diapers!!! lol I'll keep an eye out for such material to sling the fruits!

Yeah, I get that!

I use whatever I have on hand. I have an old sheet that I've been cutting up a little every year. It doesn't need to last more than one season, if you have something on hand or something you can pick up from the thrift shop, it'll work.

Quote:
Yeah for radishes!! I learned two tricks for radishes: keep them watered to lower the heat; and COOK them to eliminate the heat.

Looks like several seeds can get in asap.

Begs the question-- can a row of peas be put in and be done before the tomatos go in? Maybe if the peas are on the north side of the tomatos. ( FOr any one to answer)

From what I know, chickens eat an unbelievable amount of food, they would eat your garden weeds, tomatoes, garlic, they eat corn, chicken feed, worms, beetles, and anything they find, or anything you feed them, that includes your leftover food such as potatoes, chicken, and rice. Ask me, my chickens LOVE to eat chicken, as long as it has been cooked.
yippiechickie.gif
Welcome Cutepal!!

Dont you just love that chickens are not picky eaters!!! ANd by the way, I dont worry about whether or not it has been cooked. I toss everything from the kitchen to the birds, cooked or not.
big_smile.png

We love radishes, and the birds enjoy the tops. They have always seamed too easy not to grow. My boys have enjoyed raising radishes, and they seam to appreciate how easy they are.
My youngest plants them every year. The oldest has become an expert on growing pumpkins, pumpkin cultivars, and using pumpkin in the kitchen. My middle son only wants to build the associated structures, run the tiller, or work on it (take it apart, and lose parts LOL).

Arielle, you could probably do the peas and tomatoes in this manner. I have not done it, but we get hot earlier in the season.

I have made a lot of friends that enjoyed gardening. Some older more practical farmers, some master gardeners, some have had their gardens featured in articles and TV shows (one is on BYC), some that just enjoy piddling. I have never visited any of them and walked away without new ideas, or a broader perspective. The possibilities are never ending.

I have my things that I enjoy the most, but I have never quit enjoying trying something new.

Quote: I'm praying the clover or other short lawn type grass will grow ok-- wont know until I try it. Buckeyes are located in this garden area so hoping they will focus on the grass, but knowing chickens, everything is free game. Figured to use weed wacker and rake up the trimmings and toss to buckeyes.

Does landscape fabric come in dark or black color ??

Quote:
Sorry, $45 but that was for 3 different field samples. So $15 per sample. Worth every penny.

M
Money well spent!!!!

We love radishes, and the birds enjoy the tops. They have always seamed too easy not to grow. My boys have enjoyed raising radishes, and they seam to appreciate how easy they are.
My youngest plants them every year. The oldest has become an expert on growing pumpkins, pumpkin cultivars, and using pumpkin in the kitchen. My middle son only wants to build the associated structures, run the tiller, or work on it (take it apart, and lose parts LOL).

Arielle, you could probably do the peas and tomatoes in this manner. I have not done it, but we get hot earlier in the season.

I have made a lot of friends that enjoyed gardening. Some older more practical farmers, some master gardeners, some have had their gardens featured in articles and TV shows (one is on BYC), some that just enjoy piddling. I have never visited any of them and walked away without new ideas, or a broader perspective. The possibilities are never ending.

I have my things that I enjoy the most, but I have never quit enjoying trying something new.

Trying new things keeps the juices flowing!!

Sounds like your boys each have a skill and interest to compliment the others!!!

GOod to know the radish tops will not be wasted. I've tasted them and would not eat them, so good thing the birds will use them. Otherwise the rabbit might like a few too. ( he just got the last of a box of mixed greens from the grocery; couldnt see putting the whole box bak just for 10-15 leaves.)

Arielle, try some french breakfast with peanut butter. I was not a radish fan at all, until I discovered this delicacy. Radish seed pods are great in a salad or stir fry. Some varieties are grown specifically for the seed pods instead of the root. I believe they're referred to as rat tails. I hate landscape fabric. It seems such a wasted expense and it is an open invitation to ant nests in my yard. I'm much happier with layers of newspaper or cardboard covered with mulch. An other can't garden without tool in my garden: Cattle panels. They come in 16' x 50" panels, are a beast to transport, even with a truck, heavy as all get out, but can be used vertically when cut into manageable lengths, horizontally, or folded into a U shape for an arbor. They can be used to make a chicken coop, tractor, or green house. I don't know how I ever survived before discovering cattle panels. They are self supporting, and will last FOR EVER. They would be perfect as a permanent fencing for the north side or middle of a raised garden bed.

Arielle, try some french breakfast with peanut butter. I was not a radish fan at all, until I discovered this delicacy. Radish seed pods are great in a salad or stir fry. Some varieties are grown specifically for the seed pods instead of the root. I believe they're referred to as rat tails. I hate landscape fabric. It seems such a wasted expense and it is an open invitation to ant nests in my yard. I'm much happier with layers of newspaper or cardboard covered with mulch. An other can't garden without tool in my garden: Cattle panels. They come in 16' x 50" panels, are a beast to transport, even with a truck, heavy as all get out, but can be used vertically when cut into manageable lengths, horizontally, or folded into a U shape for an arbor. They can be used to make a chicken coop, tractor, or green house. I don't know how I ever survived before discovering cattle panels. They are self supporting, and will last FOR EVER. They would be perfect as a permanent fencing for the north side or middle of a raised garden bed.
Rat tails?? GOood thing I like rats. lol Smart creatures.

THe material is to lay down over the area I want to plant first. Hoping to warm the soil up once the snows are gone by using the black material to get the sun to go to work big time. Otherwise I am with you, use newspaper and cardboard for mulch. I hate the fragments of plastic that now litter my garden area from usiing plastic type grain bags. PLEASE bring back the paper grain bags.

Back
Top Bottom