What do you grow to feed the chickens??

Quote:
We recently did just this. The extension office supplied the box, plastic bags and postage. For a $45 fee we received a complete breakdown of the soil (what it was high in, what it was low in) as well as crop recommendations and amendment recommendations. We received an email version of the report as well as a hard copy and the entire process only took a week.

M

Quote: George, I'm having troubl envisioning the layout of carrots with tomatos. DOyou plant the carrots, and then start pulling WHERE you will set the tomatos? Leaving the carrots in the surrounding area to harvest at your choosing? I figure that must be before the tomatos need much attention.

We recently did just this. The extension office supplied the box, plastic bags and postage. For a $45 fee we received a complete breakdown of the soil (what it was high in, what it was low in) as well as crop recommendations and amendment recommendations. We received an email version of the report as well as a hard copy and the entire process only took a week.

M

You can't beat it, and it beats guessing. It is good to start off on the right foot. It is worth the effort and money.

It costs less here, or it did. Maybe it doesn't now. It is probably time to do another, so I will know soon.

A piece of cloth shaped something like this Arielle. I cradle the pumpkins in the center and then use the ends to tie to the fence. Think "hammock." Oh, it's usually a 2x4 welded wire fence. I grow them on the east side of my chickens' yard to cast some morning shade.

My birds love pumpkins. I can keep the under a roof, on a pallet, and covered with a tarp for a long time. Into January at least. The birds pick at them until there is very little left.

George, I'm having troubl envisioning the layout of carrots with tomatos. DOyou plant the carrots, and then start pulling WHERE you will set the tomatos? Leaving the carrots in the surrounding area to harvest at your choosing? I figure that must be before the tomatos need much attention.

Just plant the carrots, and forget about the tomatoes until it is time to plant them. Pull enough to make room for the individual tomato plants when it is time. What I am describing is in a bed, and I am planting started tomato plants.

We plant started tomato plants a bit later than we plant carrot seeds.

It is just a way to have two crops overlapping in the same bed.

A piece of cloth shaped something like this Arielle. I cradle the pumpkins in the center and then use the ends to tie to the fence. Think "hammock." Oh, it's usually a 2x4 welded wire fence. I grow them on the east side of my chickens' yard to cast some morning shade.
lol for a moment visions of diapers!!! lol I'll keep an eye out for such material to sling the fruits!

Quote:
I like this idea George. GIven that I really have only one good bed right now, I want to maximize production in it. I prefer beets as I can use the tops and the root, but still need to check for compatability with tomatos. Looked at this chart http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net/companion_planting_color.pdf , and it indicates while carrots are a better choice, beets are ok with tomatoes. Just now sure on the planting time. I really just need to print out these charts. lol

I like this idea George. GIven that I really have only one good bed right now, I want to maximize production in it. I prefer beets as I can use the tops and the root, but still need to check for compatability with tomatos. Looked at this chart http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net/companion_planting_color.pdf , and it indicates while carrots are a better choice, beets are ok with tomatoes. Just now sure on the planting time. I really just need to print out these charts. lol
You should be able to get beets in the ground with a bit of protection just about the same time as you would plant peas. They're equally hardy, if not a bit more so than lettuce and chard, IMO. About on a par with spinnach. Spinnach would be an other great crop to interplant since it's ready for harvest at 35 days. I never dedicate space to a lot of that stuff, just toss it around here and there. Radish? Keep a packet in my pocket all season long. Any time I plant anything, I toss a few radish seeds as row markers. French breakfast is super mild. I slice them and make little mini PB radish sandwiches (no bread, just PB between radish slices.) Super yummy!

Back
Top Bottom