What do you grow to feed the chickens??

I'm not sure. I'd assume they have nitrogen also, i plant mine near the plants I want it to feed. The plants, as they grow dump the nute into the soil. I chop up the spent vines in the compost heap too... great boost of nutes for later. So far I've trod peas and wax beans successfully.

Oh my goodness, today I had a tuna wrap ...had a bunch plop on my plate, set it down for the girls and they rushed me and ate it faster than anything I've offered so far lol

I planted a couple of currant tomatoes on the west side of my coop to give some shade for the summer. They are supposed to grow like twelve to fifteen feet high and produce loads of tiny little tomatoes so I figured the chickens could have whatever falls off or they can reach for themselves. I have some planted elsewhere for us so I guess that makes them truly a plant for the chickens.

Only green bean and wax beans tested high enough for me.

Keep me updated if you try the corn.

I didn't know beans also fixed nitrogen, only thought it was peas. Is it all beans??

All beans and peas fix nitrogen in the soil. Squash and the curcubita family (melons and cukes) are heavy feeders initially of nitrogen so they will grow like gangbusters in partially composted stuff, use up all that extra nitrogen, and then when they are finished the soil is ready for other crops not so keen on heavy nitrogen levels like root crops.

i grow head lettice and when it gets ready to cut i hang it up in my chicken house and let them peck at it they really love it and its gone in just a couple of mini hang abut 3 or 4 at a time and it gives them something to do so they want be bored when there in the coop and if you have chickens pecking eachother it will make them stop i think its a really good idea and my chickens love it

I planted a couple of currant tomatoes on the west side of my coop to give some shade for the summer. They are supposed to grow like twelve to fifteen feet high and produce loads of tiny little tomatoes so I figured the chickens could have whatever falls off or they can reach for themselves. I have some planted elsewhere for us so I guess that makes them truly a plant for the chickens.
Currant tomatos??? That is a new one to me!!! Sounds awesome 12-15 Feet high!!

Quote: All beans and peas fix nitrogen in the soil. Squash and the curcubita family (melons and cukes) are heavy feeders initially of nitrogen so they will grow like gangbusters in partially composted stuff, use up all that extra nitrogen, and then when they are finished the soil is ready for other crops not so keen on heavy nitrogen levels like root crops.
After the root veg, start the rotation again? How does corn fit in the picutre with the three sisters theory?

i grow head lettice and when it gets ready to cut i hang it up in my chicken house and let them peck at it they really love it and its gone in just a couple of mini hang abut 3 or 4 at a time and it gives them something to do so they want be bored when there in the coop and if you have chickens pecking eachother it will make them stop i think its a really good idea and my chickens love it
Bet those girls are happy!
celebrate.gif

Strawberries!!!!!

===========================================

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." - Barack Obama
THanks for the quote from B. Obama: came on a day that I needed the reminder that I am the means of change in my life!! Love the quote!

obama quote change

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom