What do you grow to feed the chickens??

Hagar-- I like the idea of mustard greens and fat-- I'm not afraid of that. Never had mustard greens, and of course have never seen the seeds at the garden store. Maybe online I can find some. I eat plenty of fats, of all kinds as long as it is natural and but without a potato, or other hgh starch food. I'm not convinced the fats are bad as we have been eating them for thousands of years. IT is the refined flours, the new corns, the processed foods that are killing us. My health has improved noticably since dropping those foods. So I'm happy to try the mustard greens. Darn I was at a store today that might have them .  . . well, next time I'll be sure to buy a bunch . ANd if I don't like it . . toss it to the birds. 

Around here the mustard seed are usually near the turnip seed. They look very similar. They have them in packets from companies like Burpees and seed stores have them in bulk. They are tasty. They aren't bad just picked and eaten raw. They are a cool season vegetable like turnips. Since the summers are hot here we plant them in September andin February. I have some of both growing side by side in the garden. A pot of turnip greens with mustard greens mixedand turnip roots is mandantory at our house at Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Oh my . . I sure hope they go to seed for yo u!! 

I have come to accept bitter foods as being more healthy for us-- before the improved breeding that eliminated the bitterness. Other nutrients left too apparently.  I sometimes mix a bitter with a less bitter to hide it. Or smother in salad dressing. I like cider vinegar  and more beneficals by using braggs brand. Every little bit counts.  Hmmm, wonder if this is why some people eat spinach with vinegar?

Down here pepper sauce is a common accompanyment to greens of all kinds. You can buy it inthe stores or it is cheap and easy to make. Just take a n attractive jar and fill it with peppers as hot as you like and fill the jar with hot vinegar and let it set at least several days. It will keep as long as you want unrefrigerated. Just sprinkle a little on the greens and enjoy.

Yes, I like to get as much cider vinegar in us as possible. It really is a wonder drug! Organic with the mother of course.

I've always thought putting vinegar on cooked greens was a southern thing, because I didn't see people do it in other parts of the country (I've lived all over). But maybe not? Anyway, it does help take out some of the bitter..... but like you, I kinda like it, and my husband doesn't hardly taste it at all.

A while back I saw something on tv about the gene for bitter (who knew?) Some veggies contain a particular enzyme or something that makes stuff taste bitter. So, they condensed it into a clear liquid and gave it to some 1st graders. Some of the kids screwed up their faces and some thought it was just water. Some thought it was just a little bitter. Apparently, you can get the bitter gene from both parents, which means you can't abide it at all, or just from one parent, which means you can taste it, but not as strong. Weird, right?
Wonder if it is the same gene that makes kids hate or love broccalli??

Step father grew up in PA and he had to always have vinegar on this spinach-- which is how my mother then always served it.

Quote: We planted turnip this spring and I harvested a few of the leaves for salads. Strange and odd the first time eating them, but I have acquired a taste for them now. Much more interesteing than the plain lettuces commonly in the market. I prefer arugala now.

Quote: Hot peppers is another veg that is super healthy. I just can't stand the very hot. I like the bite just not very hot. I do try to sneak in hot peppers where ever I can. Especially as it is less hot when mixed with a lot of bland items. So I' sure I would like the peppers in vinegar on mustard leaves!! Lately I have tried the italian pickled hot peppers in my green salad to perk up the bland plain baby lettuce leaves.

Yes, I like to get as much cider vinegar in us as possible. It really is a wonder drug! Organic with the mother of course.

I've always thought putting vinegar on cooked greens was a southern thing, because I didn't see people do it in other parts of the country (I've lived all over). But maybe not? Anyway, it does help take out some of the bitter..... but like you, I kinda like it, and my husband doesn't hardly taste it at all.

A while back I saw something on tv about the gene for bitter (who knew?) Some veggies contain a particular enzyme or something that makes stuff taste bitter. So, they condensed it into a clear liquid and gave it to some 1st graders. Some of the kids screwed up their faces and some thought it was just water. Some thought it was just a little bitter. Apparently, you can get the bitter gene from both parents, which means you can't abide it at all, or just from one parent, which means you can taste it, but not as strong. Weird, right?

My dad was from Maryland which isn't exactly south if you ask them.. he had to have vinegar on all his greens.. lol

I keep chickens adjacent to the garden. They get pretty much everything we don't eat: weeds, bugs, spent plants, bruised fruits, trimmings, etc.

I do grow mulberries for them. At my last place, I had several large, productive mulberry trees, which the birds loved. The new place had none, so one of the first things I planted was a mulberry tree. It is planted outside the garden area but close enough that it will eventually cast shade over the chicken run, and the berries will be easy to get to the chickens.

I keep chickens adjacent to the garden. They get pretty much everything we don't eat: weeds, bugs, spent plants, bruised fruits, trimmings, etc.

I do grow mulberries for them. At my last place, I had several large, productive mulberry trees, which the birds loved. The new place had none, so one of the first things I planted was a mulberry tree. It is planted outside the garden area but close enough that it will eventually cast shade over the chicken run, and the berries will be easy to get to the chickens.
I had never heard of mulberrry until my kids were playing at the totlot. In the corner a huge tree with raspberry like fruits. Once it was ID's as safe( I can't remember now how I determined this fruit to be safe) we annually gobbled down the sweet berries and stained our fingers. Lucious.

THere is a Mulberry St in Springfield MA, if anyone is familiar with Dr Suess!! His first book titled" I Heard it on Mulberry Street", or similarly.

Everyone should have a mulberry tree-- comes in white too to reduce stealing by the wild birds. NOT sure if THAT is true. lol

Back
Top Bottom