What do you grow to feed the chickens??

I don't understand why my birds are so leery to try new foods. i have to hold the food in my hand to coax them into eating a bite even then sometimes they won't try it.

mine love to eat spinach plants
(when they are small)

And also love to eat pomegrantes because i have large plant of fruiting pomegrante in my garden

But i think pomegrante will be quite expensive

I found this plant growing on the side of our house where I've spread the chicken coop and run bedding from last year. This summer we had what I thought was a corn stalk growing - must have been a stray feed seed. Turns out it's Sorghum. I'd never heard of it, but read up on it a bit - very interesting! It has many uses and appears to be grown very easily. It can be harvested, dried and fed to chickens. It also make "popcorn" -- Can't wait to try that!

Anyone else feed Sorghum to their chickens?

Last edited:
I found this plant growing on the side of our house where I've spread the chicken coop and run bedding from last year. This summer we had what I thought was a corn stalk growing - must have been a stray feed seed. Turns out it's Sorghum. I'd never heard of it, but read up on it a bit - very interesting! It has many uses and appears to be grown very easily. It can be harvested, dried and fed to chickens. It also make "popcorn" -- Can't wait to try that!

Anyone else feed Sorghum to their chickens?

My Mama raised chickens about 40 years ago and all she fed was sorgum. It's fed more in the south than the north in place of corn.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom