What do you grow to feed the chickens??

Really you can grow anything you would like for you to eat then give the leftovers to your chickens.
Just make sure not to feed them these things,
Plants from the nightshade family 
Citrus
- Onions
- Apple seeds

This link below has some more information.
http://readynutrition.com/resources/10-foods-you-should-not-feed-your-chickens_09022014/
Hope this helped!

Thanks for the visit!!

With some research and personal experience all these are actually edible. Much depends on quantity eaten.

Both kids have eaten nightshade and er was not too concerned. Sheep avoid it. I suspect the chickens also pass it up.

Apple seeds are safe to eat in small amts. I eat the seeds and chew them up with every apple i eat. The dogs too get pureed whole apples.

Last edited:
My flock are now devouring the kale since the weather has grown colder.  They wouldn't touch it before.  I wonder if it's sweeter now.

LG kale does get sweeter after a frost as u know. But im bettin g with few options the less tastey foods now get the attention as the best summer fare is long gone.

Im keeping the kale for me. Grin.

Last edited:
Winter plans.

Clear more trees. Find more semi shade plants.

Hopefully have enough full sun area ti plant sand cherries and the other bush cherry.

Last edited:
I have planted them in all types of soil. They would prefer loose soil, but I don't always plant them in good soil. The beets will grow out of the ground.

Purslane is eaten all over the world. For instance, Hispanics call it verdo lago and Greeks, horcha. The Russians dry it for use in the winter. Pick it fresh and green early in the morning and add it to your salads. Also it is very good to add to tomatillos when making green sauce.

Check out the article I wrote at: http://hubpages.com/food/Purslane-the-Noxious-Weed-That-Greeks-and-Others-Love
The above is a somewhat humorous fictional story about Purslane.

Last edited:
I have planted them in all types of soil.  They would prefer loose soil, but I don't always plant them in good soil.  The beets will grow out of the ground.

We have rocky acidic soils here. A root crop that can loosen up the soil is a boon. If ut can survive by living above is well worth having a closer look at.

Purslane is eaten all over the world. For instance, Hispanics call it verdo lago and Greeks, horcha. The Russians dry it for use in the winter. Pick it fresh and green early in the morning and add it to your salads. Also it is very good to add to tomatillos when making green sauce. 

Check out the article I wrote at: http://hubpages.com/food/Purslane-the-Noxious-Weed-That-Greeks-and-Others-Love 
The above is a somewhat humorous fictional story about Purslane.

Yaeh!!!!! Im a growing fan of veguis that have not been messed with. For several reasons. So i will love reading a bit about it.

I was on the back of my property today and noticed that the miner's lettuce is getting ready to really ramp up. I wish that I could get the chickens down there, they would love the plant. It is related to purslane, full of minerals, and was used during the California gold rush in salads to combat scurvy; it is full of vitamin C. Another very healthy plant.

You have it growing wild? I grew it in the garden for a couple of years. I can see how it would take over and become a part of the landscape. I love the flavor, but find that it's a lot of work to harvest enough for a salad. But... when anything green is welcome, it's great!!!

Back
Top Bottom