What do you guys do about free range ducks and work?

I have also read keeping a goose with your ducks is a decent way to provide them protection. Geese are larger and more aggressive, and have a bit more of a tendency to return to a roost, if the ducks bonded with it they might be willing to follow it.

When I was young, someone left a gander on the pond, with its three Pekin companions. The goose shepherded them along and was very protective of his flock, and would come after people if they came too close.

I have also read keeping a goose with your ducks is a decent way to provide them protection. Geese are larger and more aggressive, and have a bit more of a tendency to return to a roost, if the ducks bonded with it they might be willing to follow it.

When I was young, someone left a gander on the pond, with its three Pekin companions. The goose shepherded them along and was very protective of his flock, and would come after people if they came too close.
That is real sweet!! I have thought about getting a goose but don't want to take up to much room in my run(as I would rather fill it with ducks). Once they get on the pond tho they won't be in the run as much so if it is a little crowded for just the night time then I don't think it will be to big of a deal.

Just my two cents if your not home I’d be very concerned about the ducks free ranging not only wild predators but roaming dogs will take Out your small flock. I could never go away from home with out mine behind fencing just to great a risk. But like I said this is only my 2 cents to be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Just my two cents if your not home I’d be very concerned about the ducks free ranging not only wild predators but roaming dogs will dedicate your small flock. I could Berber go away from home with out mine behind fencing just to great a risk. But like I said this is only my 2 cents to be taken with a grain of salt.
I second this! Roaming dogs are your worst issue if there is no fencing. Plus, dogs can swim... They are by far the most likely to wipe out your birds.

Yes dogs can swim but that does not mean they will catch ducks in a pond. Also if you plan to sell eggs make sure they have laid before letting them loose in the morning. Ducks do not come back to your nests as easily as chickens.

We have a lake nearby where abandoned domestic ducks have lived for many years. The pond is also surrounded by woods and I have never in my life seen the ducks go into the woods. They stay in the water, or on the open grass, where they get fed. They sleep on a small natural island, and predator losses are minimal. Possibly some sort of floating hutch on the water might keep free range pet ducks safe at night?

We have a similar situation at our fairground. There is a pond of several acres up against a wooded area. There are many wild ducks, both Mallard and Wood Ducks there as well as many wild Canada Geese and Loons. There are also a couple dozen abandoned domestic geese and every year there are around a dozen new abandoned domestic ducks that show up there. Although it seems like the same geese are there every year, very seldom do more than two or three of the ducks make it to the following year. I know there is a steward that cleans up the area and puts out healthy food for them in addition to all the garbage the public feeds them so none of them should go hungry. I can't say for sure if they get adopted, sick or preyed upon but there is another scenario to help you decide.

Ducks love freedom and the feral ducks near us seem to be the happiest ducks you will ever meet, but their lifespans are definitely short. It is hard to tell with the white ones, but the more unique patched ones often vanish after a few months to a year, while some of the geese are at least fifteen by now.

Back to the note I made earlier about ducks having NO survival instinct... Yesterday, we decided the bad weather was probably mostly over for the season so I decided to get most of the snow from the last couple weeks out of the ducks' kennel. The ducks were free to roam in the back yard and I had made a path to the ducky dome so they could hang out there. Then I started snow blowing their kennel... Sure enough, they wanted to see what I was doing... So I had to do their whole kennel hyper-conscious of where the ducks were so I didn't step on any, drive over any or blow them out of the kennel. :lau
Snow.jpg

Note the open door to the yard behind me... Yup they all came in and watched me on their own... Silly ducks!!!

I used to free range all day, everyday. I lost several chickens and all the ducks. Now I do a modified free range system where I only let them out for the day on my weekends when I'm home. Since I'm on swing shift, I sometimes let them out for a few hours during mid day before I go to work.

I don't let them out early in the morning, or if it is rainy. The light rain we get around here makes the coyotes much braver about coming around my house in the daytime.

I use a mix of chicken scratch, cat kibbles, and meal worms or solder fly larva to bring them back in the run.

Since beginning this regimen I have not lost any more birds to predators. So I recommend you let out your birds when you come home from work, not before work.

Ducks tend to lay all their eggs in the morning hours, and they often don't care where they leave them. So keeping them in their run for the morning makes it much easier to retrieve their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom