What do you guys think about this brooder?

Newchickgrandma

Chirping
Mar 29, 2022
Screenshot_20240417-084317_DuckDuckGo.jpg
We have 12 sicilian buttercups in a Walmart tote and need to expand :barnie

what do i think about it .. chicks indoors is a dust-bomb waiting to happen ... my brooder setup is 3 stage now, the first week they go in the brooder in the pic, its shallow and easy to deal with, is easy to control the heat even out on the porch, and its easily portable ... after a week they go to a big deeper box in the garage, then depending on weather they go to, or back and forth to a wire pen out back in the shade covered by a sheet and piece of tin with a block on top so nothing can tip it ... less mess to clean and cheap, thats the goal .. but if you really love them, sure, raise them in the livingroom heheh ..
Even easier is to just brood directly in the coop or run from the start. No "stages," no need to make adjustments for weather (if you get it set up juuuust right), no need for cleanup (if you do deep bedding or litter).

That's what we're doing with our next batch, coming this weekend, but in the past we've gotten chicks in early March. Good weather this time of year, but early March - can be harsh around here.
I'd always done chicks in May, when risk of rain was minimal and weather was generally more consistent and pleasant. Turns out rain isn't a problem if you spend enough time perfecting the brooder placement (compare the dark and damp litter outside vs inside):
2024chicks04.jpg

We only ended up with a late March batch this time because hubby didn't want to wait, how can I not see that we're not getting enough eggs?!? So maybe we'll have eggs through fall and winter for once. :)

SONGMICS Pet Playpen with Floor, Small Animal Pen, Pet Fence Indoor, DIY Plastic Enclosure for Hamsters, Hedgehogs, 57.1 x 28.3 x 22.4 Inches, White ULPC007W01 https://a.co/d/2vcMl9S

It's actually plastic that's just thick enough. I like that there were floor panels too so it's sturdier. Right now I put bird netting over the top with clothespins, the cage panels I had before could fall in and hurt chicks. Great job raising baby chicks everyone!

Just my opinion, I never use a brooder where the only option is reaching in over their heads. If you can find side access, it'd be better....
We only change water and feed, and clean the breeder (we use totes) at night, after they settle down at night. That way it doesn't seem to traumatize them. I wear a little head lamp with a red headlamp.

Back
Top Bottom