What do you have in your flock?

Things have changed (again) since I made that post. The polish has been rehomed to a friend of mine. The half banty roo was taken by a predator and was replaced by an EE and I have another orpington, 2 GLW, a leghorn and an egyptian fayoumi in the brooder. The polish wound up being a cockerel and after my normal roo was taken wound up running the show. He actually did really well with the LF hens, but they started plucking his 80's rock star hair and I ended up deciding to send him somewhere that was a better fit for him. I get updates on how well he is doing :)

I don't know why it is but the crested breeds seem to get feather-picked by other breeds so I've decided not to replace my one crested bird once she's gone (a 7-yr-old Partridge Silkie -- my first and oldest bird in the flock and I don't have the heart to part with her -- she holds her own with the LF hens but she tends to be off by herself most of the time now that her other Black Silkie friend died last year). So sad to see her toodling around alone when she had the other old Black Silkie to pal around with for 6 years. The bantams seem to hang around together away from the LF breeds.
DSCN7938.JPG

My turn, my turn :p
Hens:

Barred Rock
Silver Penciled Rock
Buff Rock
Welsummer
Cream Legbar
FBCM

Chickie Babies:
Buff Orpington
Specked Sussex x2
Easter Egger
Ameraucana mix ? olive egger
White leghorn/Black Orpington mix
White Cochin---may turn out to be a bantam, tiny chick

Love them all!
My most friendly=barred rock
My best layers=so far my rocks
My worst layer=probably my welsummer
Most skittish=probably FBCM
Cutest chick=white cochin chickie baby by a long shot:love
Prettiest egg= Silver penciled rock, I know you thought Id say FBCM, while the dark chocolate eggs are cool, my Silver Penciled lays this gorgeous light pink egg that almost looks opalescent. Gorgeous, especially next to my cream legbar's pretty blueish green
Biggest egg=FBCM
Smallest egg=Cream Legbar
Top of pecking order=FBCM
Bottom of pecking order=Silver penciled rock

My turn!
Barred Rock
Easter Egger
Gold-laced Wyandotte
Bielefelder (who's kind of a jerk chicken)
Splash Isbar
2 Blue Isbar
Cream Crested Legbar

AND...a Lavender Marans and two Black Birchen Marans are coming on Wednesday!!!

My turn, my turn :p
Hens:

Barred Rock
Silver Penciled Rock
Buff Rock
Welsummer
Cream Legbar
FBCM

Chickie Babies:
Buff Orpington
Specked Sussex x2
Easter Egger
Ameraucana mix ? olive egger
White leghorn/Black Orpington mix
White Cochin---may turn out to be a bantam, tiny chick

Love them all!
My most friendly=barred rock
My best layers=so far my rocks
My worst layer=probably my welsummer
Most skittish=probably FBCM
Cutest chick=white cochin chickie baby by a long shot:love
Prettiest egg= Silver penciled rock, I know you thought Id say FBCM, while the dark chocolate eggs are cool, my Silver Penciled lays this gorgeous light pink egg that almost looks opalescent. Gorgeous, especially next to my cream legbar's pretty blueish green
Biggest egg=FBCM
Smallest egg=Cream Legbar
Top of pecking order=FBCM
Bottom of pecking order=Silver penciled rock

That is so cool that you added the personalities, egg sizes, and additional temperament info. I could identify with some of the breeds you listed as being just like the breeds I had over the years. I wound up not keeping Leghorns or Marans because they got way too pushy to downright mean towards the gentler docile breeds so we rehomed the aggressive breeds. The Marans were skittish around people but mean to flockmates. It's nice to keep assertive breeds together like RIR, BRs, Legs, Marans, Wyans, Orps, Lorps, etc because they can hold their own with each other in the pecking order but adding docile breeds to the mix can cause problems as we found out the hard way. Now I only keep docile/gentle tempered breeds in the backyard flock and there's less diva drama. At first, eggs from pretty birds was a goal but after mixing aggressive with docile breeds, we opted to go with the docile breeds and really there was not that much egg productivity that was sacrificed -- some eggs were smaller or not a variety of color but we had a more peaceful backyard flock.

I think these are:
RIR
Barred rock
Salmon favorelles
SF/Marans mix
Heritage turkey

Any guesses on sex’s would be great!

Attachments

• 9D139624-AE3A-4362-9485-2D8C08CDC36A.jpeg
    9D139624-AE3A-4362-9485-2D8C08CDC36A.jpeg
    384.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 838AD9F2-4E4B-4D26-8796-14B7617B5304.jpeg
    838AD9F2-4E4B-4D26-8796-14B7617B5304.jpeg
    649.4 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    767.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 5
I think these are:
RIR
Barred rock
Salmon favorelles
SF/Marans mix
Heritage turkey

Any guesses on sex’s would be great!

In the majority of chicken breeds the female chicks grow in tail feathers very quickly so that by one month they've got some cute tail fluff. The male chicks will grow in saddle feathers first (on their back) and take a longer time to grow sickle (tail) feathers, also by about 7 weeks the males will start showing much redder combs compared to the pale pink combs of the female juveniles. The females will start showing very red comb/wattles just before POL.

Back
Top Bottom