What do you have planted in your garden?

Yeah I know what you mean the squirrels have been getting into my bird feeder
1f620.png
But I fixed that! I put a dome on the top of it
1f603.png
They can't get in anymore!
1f601.png

We have a huge squirrel population in our town but we don't have to net or protect anything because our cat kills squirrels. He got about 6 last year alone! They don't cross our fence line. Sometimes they'll run along it but I've seen Ricky (our cat) knock them off the fence and out of trees before! He's a polydactyl and about 13 pounds of solid muscle. I love squirrels but not when they mess with our garden!

We have, in addition to our perennial flowers and shrubs, a Redhaven peach tree (last year after thinning we got 500 peaches), strawberries, rhubarb, blueberries, raspberries, herbs, peas, lettuces and it's not even planting season here until May 15. We just dug up a bunch of potatoes from last year and we've got volunteer onions. We're going to plant a Moorpark Apricot tree this week! We'll plant jalopenos, tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers, sugar pumpkins, cantaloupe, zucchini, summer squash and lots of annual flowers in the next month or so.

Today we have snow.
I do have some things planted (and protected).
Peas, 6 kinds of lettuce, 3 kinds of radish, and spinach.
I have 5 tomato plants under stiff plastic domes and doing well.
Then the flowers..... Lots of flowers are up and blooming in the beds. Potted flowers are hiding in the garage.
Colorado weather, snow one day and 80 degrees by Friday.

Nothing in my annual garden yet (too cold) but everything in my perennial edible garden is looking up and up. I've been collecting asparagus and chrysanthemum greens like crazy. I'm in zone 7, east coast.

Asparagus, rhubarb, wintergreen, hostas, sunhoke, goji berry, peaches, apples, asian pear, regular pear, cherries, ostrich fern, persimmon, haskap, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, plums, filberts, korean bush cherries, paw-paws, figs, muscadines, grapes, akebia (finished hand pollinating all the female flowers yesterday), chrysanthemum nankingnese, horseradish, currants, gooseberries, jostaberries, gooseberries, alpine strawberries, camassia, siberian peabush, daylilies, lovage, loquat, szechuan peppercorn, sansho peppercorn, saffron, fennel.

I haven't seen any sign of my hopniss or cinnamon vine, but since I planted them just a week or so ago, I'm not that worried.

Herbs are going nuts right now too.

Last frost date for my zone is the 14th so I can't wait to get the annual stuff started.

My breakfast this morning. Duck egg from my muscovies, asparagus from the garden.

Back
Top Bottom