What do you keep Quail for??

i keep them to keep my avairy clean and for there eggs to eat and put them in my incubator

Quote:
4H doesn't usually take quail, pheasants, ext.

I help out 4Hers here. The more education on quail the better
big_smile.png

Yep, but 4H just does chickens here. Even if they do accept them you are competing against yourself in shows though. Still good to inform people about them...

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance! The reason we keep chickens is kind of obvious, BTW... Ducks are just cute and dogs are your best
Thanks to those of you who gave constructive answers!

The reason we keep quail is kind of obvious: Quail is made out of meat covered with feathers, just like chicken, quail lays eggs (lots of them) just like chicken. Some people keep quail for pets, just like some keep chicken for pets.

Does it qualify as "constructive answer" now?

I'm sorry.... I never knew that quail were big enough to eat. I always saw pics of small ones. AND I thought that they laid seasonally, like a duck or turkey.

Yes, your reply now qualifies as a constructive answer. Thank you.

Well most people categorize quail as the bobwhites most people hunt, inefficient, seasonal layers, ext. There are more than bobwhites and valley quail. Coturnix maturing in 6-8 weeks will lay year round with some christmas lights in the cage. Oh, and they mature in 6-8 weeks. They weigh about 10-14 ounces and taste pretty good. People eat doves, there is much more meat on a coturnix than a dove. Also bobwhites which most people think of are somewhat as you describe. They are big for a quail and taste better than your cornish hen. Bobwhites are seasonal layers, but can sometimes be tricked into laying all year round. While coturnix lay just as many eggs as a chicken if not quite a few more. So why do you keep chickens?

So, if I understand right, the Coturnix (sp?) will lay year round, as much as a chicken?! That's pretty cool! And they start to lay at only 6-8 weeks?! Amazing!

I got chickens originally, just to have some farm animals around while I wait to get other big animals, like horses. But, now I keep them for their eggs and wonderful personalities.

Yes, they will lay great if given 14 hours of light, a good GBS, and fresh water. They lay in 6-8 weeks too. Check out the sticky at the top of the page.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom