What do you keep your free choice calcium in

Jul 9, 2020
Guthrie, ok
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all, I have 10 chickens, 6 ducks and 2 geese who are fed Nutrena All-Flock. I wash, dry, and crush the eggshells and give back to them for their calcium. However, no matter what I have tried to put the shells in, it gets knocked over and scattered about because they weigh so little. I have tried heavy bowls and regular feeders as well as hanging the feeders (the geese ate the rope). I should probably build something to hold the bowl or feeder steady but am neck deep in other projects. Just looking for ideas. Thanks!

I use gravity feeders made out of PVC pipe and fittings. As long as the top is protected from rain, they work well for oyster shell.

Attachments

• 20200323_124650.jpg
    20200323_124650.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200718_172930.jpg
    20200718_172930.jpg
    964.3 KB · Views: 10
I use one of these: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/fortiflex-mf-2-mineral-feeder-2x175-qt-capacity-black

You can find them in the equine section of TSC. I drill lots of 1/8" holes in the bottom of each bowl for drainage since I keep these attached to the OUTSIDE of each of my coops. I fill each bowl halfway to prevent billing out. I put oyster shell in one side and crushed granite for grit in the other. I attach at a comfortable height for adult birds. They can help themselves and I see them all visit the feeder throughout the day. This is made of plastic but it can handle our freezing cold temps in winter without shattering. It's the only thing I use for supplemental os/grit for my birds. Highly recommend!

I use a galvanized very small waterer that I think I found at tractor supply. It can be hung on a wall or fencing. I ask my husband to nail two picture clips on the wall of the coop so I could hang the waterer from them. It hangs near the chicken door. It is at the height of a chickens back. I'll try to post a picture of it.

Back
Top Bottom