what do you like about the various rocks, buff orpingtons, astrolorps?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by norahsmommy, Jan 7, 2009.

1. norahsmommy

norahsmommy Out Of The Brooder

so what do you all think of partridge rocks, barred rocks, buff orpintons and black astrolorps? What are their temperments and other good/bad points? Are they good layers, mothers, setters?

2. Quella

Quella Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Black australorps are wonderful layers and so awesomely sweet! [​IMG] Bad points are they are pretty heavy as bred as a dual purpose bird, and if you want to hug them it's sort of annoying about the weight factor. [​IMG] They also make great mothers.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    They are all wonderful birds. If i had to choose from the list i would pick the Buff Orpington, then the Barred Rock........and that would be it. I know people love the blk Australorps, but mine seems to be the top of the pecking order, so she can appear mean to me. She seems mean to baby chicks when hatched, including her own. My Buff Orps are good layers, good broodies, and great mothers. I love them [​IMG]

4. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

i would go with the buff orpingtons. I love mine, they are great layers, and very curios and freindly birds. Social and safe around the little kids.

5. chicken quartet

chicken quartet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    I love my Barred Rocks! They are the absolute friendliest of all my birds. They are always the first to come over and the only ones to actually jump up and want to see you. I don't have any BO or BA though so I can't compare.

6. norahsmommy

norahsmommy Out Of The Brooder

I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. Are any of those breeds something you wouldn't want around your kids? I don't want eyes getting plucked out or something.

7. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Just like with other pets, make sure you are around if the kids are near them. Even with a calm bird, they can easily be startled.
    My buff orp when she was a chick, pecked my daughters eyeball. Was an accident, there was a hair flying by, the bird thought it was a bug and misjudged distance. THere was no damage to the eye (went straight to an eye doctor, then to an opthamologist)
    She is still the sweetest bird around, and my daughter still loves her.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  8. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I love my 7 Sunshine Sisters and their Roo, Brewster! He's smart, too!

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Our black sex-link is our fav, followed by the BR. Both of them are really curious, friendly, and inquisitive. The BR is talkative whereas the BSL kind of "titters" all the time.

10. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    the white rock is a good layer and a good mother .my 3 yearold white rock hen has hatched out 16 eggs the last 2 years. also great tempermant too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by